Sign in to follow this  

Laceing Rim

Any Tips How To Lace A Rim The Tire Is All Together But Not Laced Right I Need To Lace It But I Dont No How It All Ready On The Hub Thanxs

Tire is all together?? All ready on the hub?? Not real clear where you are on this or what you need? :applause: :applause: :lol:

OK, terminology confusion. If you have all the spokes in place, you have already completed lacing it up. What you need to do now is true it.

Do you have some kind of truing jig set up? Or you can do it on the bike, especially if it is the front rim. If you already have the tire on it, then you really need to take it off. Use a dial indicator or rig something up that will be stationary that you can set on the edges of the rim to be your reference point.

Once set-up, spin the rim and mark the highest point in its rotation...the "hop". Take and tighten the spoke nearest to that high point , say one full turn, tighten the adjacent spokes, the two that are next to the highest one and tighten them about 1/2 turn, then the next two ( one on each side) and tighten them about 1/4 turn. So you are working with a group of 5 spokes. Spin the rim again and remark the highest point agina and go thru the same procedure each time you find a high point. Now, if you had already tightened the spokes really tight befoer you started this, sometimes you may have to loosen some of them opposite the high point.

Just keep repeating that procedure until you have elminated the "hop".

Once you got the hop out of it, the vertical plain run out, then you have to check for run-out in the horizontal plane...the wobble. Set your indicator on one side or the other on the side of the rim edge. Spin the rim and mark where it has the most lateral run-out. Then, tighten the two spokes closest to that point that originate from the opposite side of the hub....in other words, if you are sitting there looking at the rim and the run-out is to your left, then tighten the spokes that come from the right side of the hub at that point. Just keep repeating the procedure over and over again until you have eliminated the lateral run-out.

Once done with that, then recheck the "hop". Sometimes you got to go back and forth between adjusting the lateral -run and and then re-adjusting the hop and back and forth until it rolls true in both axis.

I think what he's saying is that he has laced them wrong and doesn't know how to correct them, right? :applause:

Yes I Bought The Bike From A Friend And He Boght New Rims And Put Them On Him Self Now I Got It With Messed Up Rims

When I lace A new rim I count the turns of each nipple as they are installed, then when they are all on I go around and turn each nipple the same amount of turns untill they get snug, at this point you should have no hop but A little side to side adjustment to do.