Sign in to follow this  

were to buy a good chain sproket set-up

hey guys, im looking to get a new set of sprokets and a new chain. can someone direct me in the right place on were i can buy a good combo set-up. im looking for an x-ring chain and i think 13/50 gearing. i have an 04 450 and just ride some trails and open pits and ride the track occasionally. what is recommended? thanks again

I gotta ask, Why is everybody running the O/X/Z ring chains? Im come from a drag bike background and have run non o-ring chains on everything with great results. Sure the o-ring chains "may" last a little longer but how long do you need a chain to last on an MX bike? I always thought oring chains were for touring bikes. Keep the chain clean and well lubed, slap in a set of ceramic wheel bearings and start enjoying the effects of the reduced rolling resistance of a non o-ring chain.

$0.02

The fairy tale that o-ring chains cost power was disproved a long time ago. If so, it's so minute that you can't possibly tell the difference,yet the chains last a whole lot longer. On the contrary, a modern sealed chain has less resistance after a non-sealed unit gets dirt in between the links after just a few minutes on the track. Some (I think Kawasaki and Suzuki) of the motocross bike manufacturers (not Honda, yet) are starting to have sealed chains on their bikes right from the factory,and are getting points in shoot-outs for doing so.

The D.I.D. VT T-ring chain that comes stock on the 450X is one of the best you can buy, and 450X owners are getting an incredible amount of time on them before they ever come close to wearing out.

It's also very narrow for a sealed chain,and no spacers are required ,it just mounts right up. Doug

Sure the o-ring chains "may" last a little longer but how long do you need a chain to last on an MX bike?

An x-ring chain and Ironman sprocket combo will last two solid years of weekly riding and you'll only have to adjust it a couple of times. Cost - about $200

You'll go through four of the best conventional chains/sprocket sets and made 20-30 chain adjustments in that same period of time. Cost - about $500

Once the x-ring chain is at operating temperature there is no additional rolling resistance.

The D.I.D. VT T-ring chain that comes stock on the 450X is one of the best you can buy, and 450X owners are getting an incredible amount of time on them before they ever come close to wearing out.

It's also very narrow for a sealed chain,and no spacers are required ,it just mounts right up. Doug

I replaced my stock chain on my 450R with the D.I.D. VT T-ring after 1 ride when the bike was new. That was a little over a year ago. I ride at least every other weekend and have not had to adjust it yet.

Quote: CamP: You'll go through four of the best conventional chains/sprocket sets and made 20-30 chain adjustments in that same period of time. Cost - about $500

Maybe if you buy Renthal:thumbsdn:

No disrespect but BS......:applause:

No disrespect but BS......:applause:

What do you mean? I've never got more than six months of hard use out of any conventional chain.

What do you mean? I've never got more than six months of hard use out of any conventional chain.

:applause: Maybe your just alot faster than I am. I also lube my chain every ride & keep it really clean.:applause:

:applause: Maybe your just alot faster than I am. I also lube my chain every ride & keep it really clean.:applause:

I've been riding moto for 35 years. I learned proper chain maintenance somewhere along the line.

Do you even know how to properly measure a chain for wear?

Well, how I do it is, measure the span of 17 pins. If its over 10 1/5 inches,, I get a new one. How does the ol' Campster do it????

That would be the correct method. I use 259mm because I can't seem to locate a ruler that measures in 1/5ths.

Do you know who makes Renthal chains?