Sign in to follow this  

I Had A Break Through!

ok, i've been seein all the threads about wheelies. people upset about not being able to do them or different techniques. ok here's my story/technique.

I have never been able to "ride" a wheelie. like keep the tire up for a long period of time. i could blip up the front end over logs, puddles, etc. but never actually get a good wheelie. i have a buddy of mine that can go for literally, as far as the road goes. i've never really been upset i couldnt ride a wheelie, just, the kind of "ya know...that'd be pretty sweet to be able to do." anyway, tryin to get to the point.

he told me (and we're both on 250f's, works for the other thumpers and such too), when you have a semi-smooth surface and some distance to do it, click up into about 4th/5th gear and while the bike is bogging, clutch up the front end and just keep givin it throttle until you hit your balance point which i found mine seriously probly after 2 hours of trying this, and keep steady gas. you can just ride them for days. i'll get a vid up if i can. i'm gettin pretty good. i just recently got one that was a tiny bit over 150 ft. my personal record:applause: i felt special! :applause:

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

nicee

i just recently learned how to wheelie too! now i can get it up in 2end and shift to 4th shitting down on my 450

click up into about 4th/5th gear and while the bike is bogging, clutch up the front end and just keep givin it throttle until you hit your balance point

explain this again..wouldnt 2nd gear be good, i can do wheelies but not that long like 20 feet...

I understand your frustration; I can't ride a wheelie to save my life, while a friend of mine can ride them literally for miles - he sets it down when there's a tight curve in the road and then right back up again. I've seen him go from Olds hill to the washes at Glamis on the back wheel the whole way-I really don't get it.

I understand your frustration; I can't ride a wheelie to save my life, while a friend of mine can ride them literally for miles - he sets it down when there's a tight curve in the road and then right back up again. I've seen him go from Olds hill to the washes at Glamis on the back wheel the whole way-I really don't get it.

same :applause:

well, unless your riding really slow wheelies that need you to be constantly trying to coast (where low gearing is fine)which is obviously a different style of weelie.mine is goin fast. it's the same effect as when you do a wheelie on your bicycle. on a bike in a low gear(mountain bike) you can get the wheelie up but then you end up peddling faster and faster until you cant go faster in that gear and then you end up bringing the front end down. if you go in a taller gear that doesnt happen. Same concept with the motorcycle. if your sitting down (which i stand) and your unable to shift, just start out in the tallest gear. i end up like 5th gear tacked out goin down the road. Hope this helps

and remember,we are trying to AVOID hitting rev limiter here. in second gear the bike ends up go as fast as it can in second and unless u wanna shift up a gear which isnt always possible, or pound rev limiter for ever, then you have to bring the wheelie down.

Me to I can't do a long wheelie with my CRF150F because its pretty heavy and it don't have a lot of power.

That's an 03' KX85. Ignore the typos and the 65 MPH. The guy in the black truck came up and said it was pretty cool and he was doing 65 and not catching up, still like &%$#@! get off his ass though especially in a 25 MPH neighborhood. If you want to bitch at me for "OMG YOU ARE RUINING THE SPORT FOR RIDING ON THE STREET" take that up with the PM function. We did this summer 2005 and noone was home etc... so it was straight and no one complained (atleast not that time...). Enjoy.

That KX vid was simply amazing.

I will never be able to clutch my bike to pull a wheelie in 4th gear. Like it bogs in 4th, Im riding a 250F, what are you doing?

well the bike is just revving enough to not die, it is bogging though. i get to i think around 7 mph, and pull in the clutch a lil bit with a finger, rev it, and pull up and let out the clutch quickly. you'll pop up the front tire and you can just give it gas as you need too. jeez, i need to get up a vid. it's not hard at all.

well the bike is just revving enough to not die, it is bogging though. i get to i think around 7 mph, and pull in the clutch a lil bit with a finger, rev it, and pull up and let out the clutch quickly. you'll pop up the front tire and you can just give it gas as you need too. jeez, i need to get up a vid. it's not hard at all.

7mph? That's like second gear bogged. Try 4th just almost topped out and mayby suspension press a little and the front comes right up for me?

trust me dude, haha, i've been gettin pretty good with my technique. as soon as i clean my air filter and charge the batteries in the digi cam i'll take a vid. forth almost topped out means you've already been using distance on your runway...if you start out bogging (in the wheelie) you can just keep on the gas, you slowly start goin faster untill your tapped out.

You wanna see on the gas? I'll show you an XR100 video I shot for my first video ever like 3 years ago with my buddy in 5th no clutch. Then in a few you can see him shift threw 3rd-5th. Away to dig up file---

EDIT:

Theres both videos, kinda messed up, but skip the first part and it bring you to the xr.

Seriously though like lotten454 said this is real simple to wheelie and i think it is a pretty good way to learn, although this is not how i learned, but i do wheelie like this now. Like he said put he bike in a higher gear, and yes you will be bogging a little, and juct creep along building up a little speed. When you are ready pull in the clutch a little with a finger or two and time the gas so i gets power as you are releasing it. Trust me your bike has enough power to clutch itself up like this almost no matter what you are riding. If you dont believe me i could show you this technique on a xr100. So trust me the bike will come up. I can teach anyone to wheelie in under an hour. Remember the clutching is all about the timing. It's harder to hear the power delivery on a 4 stroke when doing this b/c of its exhaust tone. If you were riding a 2 stroke i would sound like this: (remember you are barely creeping along) ding ding ding (now the clutching part) BBBBBUUUUUURRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP (now just give it gas as necessary (RRRAAAPPPPP RRRRRAAAAP RRRRRAAAAAP).

The low pitch ssound you will hear during the BBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUU is how it should sound if your clutch timing is right. Now just vary how much gas you are giving it during this time until you are getting the front end high enough. I know this sounds kind of weird but its the only way I knew how to explain it.:applause: