Sign in to follow this  

CORVA Action Alert !!!

Hello Fellow TT folks, I would like to share the letter from our

CORVA pres, Ed Waldhiem. Ed is most definitely the one who

the OHV industry as a whole, will channel though when the stuff hits the fan!

Thanks to Thumper talk and the folks who have been patient with me posting

such material, but we do need to really jump into these issues together as

a group if we are going to survive the flood coming down the pipeline.

Wayne Nosala

The following flyer is going to be distributed in Ocotillo Wells Saturday,

corva.jpg

THE HEIST OF THE GREEN STICKER PROGRAM

2/24/2007

My name is Ed Waldheim, I am 68 years old resident of California City, California. I have been fighting for the rights of off roaders since 1978 when President Nixon signed the executive order to create the California Desert Conservation area.

I have been commissioner two separate times for the OHV program appointed by two different Governors one Republican and one Democrat. I have been CORVA president for 14 years. We have created nine non-profits groups such as Friends of Jawbone, Friends of El Mirage, Friends of Oceano Dunes, Friends of Dumont, Friends of Kern County OHV Parks. Our groups groom trails with rented tractors, quads, rakes, sign trails with our volunteers.

In 2006, I attended 221 meetings (see the calendar of meetings at www.corva.org under calendar) over the years I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles. My five month old Prius now has 24,900 miles on it, no joke.

I do all this for free; I never get paid for anything. CORVA does not have a paid staff and no one gets paid except to get the newsletter out. We have a lobbyist in Washington DC, something no one else has except AMA national office, we have lobbyist in Sacramento and proud to be partners with Ecological group made up of ASA, ORBA, San Diego Off-Road Coalition, D-37 AMA and CORVA to have a full time attorney on staff.

Why this note to you at Truckhaven. Mike Bishop from ACORVA, CTUC and CORVA has agreed to pass these flyers and newsletters out to everyone he can reach to tell you that we are in big trouble. Our OHV program, Green Sticker

program has finally been hijacked the Environmental Zealots and do everything in their power to discredit the off road community.

They tried to shut us down in Truckhaven with the CBD lawsuit. The only problem they came across is CORVA who stopped them cold. Go to our March ORIA newsletter or www.corva.org to get the full story.

Today you are having fun in Truckhaven because our attorney on behalf of our 5 partners was able to beat the CBD in court. But that victory will not be long lived unless we keep up our side of the fight. Remember these guys never quit. They want to see us in the Pacific Ocean.

They want to deny you and I our opportunity to ride and recreate. Make no bones about it. We are at war for our very survival of our sport!

The commission has cut all funding for operation and maintenance. No agency received a dollar to fix trails, clean restrooms and many did not get enforcement money.

Our OHV program comes up for reauthorization in Sacramento and bills by the Environmental Zealots are being introduced as we are introducing our bills.

The fight is on.

Now you, the off-road public have to step up and do you part. We at CORVA and other organizations are the guns, but we need bullets, thousands of them. In Sacramento we are of no consequence, for 15 years we get 100 people to come to lobby day. We should have 5000 people; block the streets, the hallways in Capitol Building. In other words we need to make sure that the legislators know that you exist out there .That you are real and that you are passionate about your sport.

Up until now, we are not even on their radar screen, that fact is perfectly clear by the appointments they make to the commission all. They have finally taken over and killed our State of California OHV Program.

Agencies are now trying to figure out how to pay staff to keep areas open. If you think this does not affect you think again. (Not only Truckhaven, But

EVERY district)

March 19, 2007 Monday in Sacramento, we need every single person who is at Truckhaven this weekend and at the Tierra Del Sol event in Ocotillo Wells to come to Sacramento. Take vacation time, take sick time, car pool to Sacramento, ask your club to pay for your gas, borrow money whatever be there. If you are not there. CORVA and all the other organizations will be hard pressed to save our sport. To date, they have done a good job on us, why because of our total apathy to the political process.

Truckhaven was saved this time; but will you be there to help us on the next round with donations, with membership, with manpower to protect your sport?

As of 2-22-07 the CBD filed an 60-day Notice of Intent to Sue claiming that OHV activities at Truckhaven are causing a "take" of Peninsular Bighorn Sheep in violation of Section 9 of the Endangered Species Act. As you can see, they are using "science" to prove their point. I cannot stress enough how important it is that we ramp up on the technical side so that we can challenge their claims. If we don't, consider Truckhaven closed for the indefinite future. This is war. We can either adapt or fight back with equal fire-power; or we can go home and stay there.

We need you in Sacramento, no excuses; we need every single member of clubs, play riders, anyone who recreates in California needs to be in Sacramento.

Join us in Sacramento on March 19, 2007

Registration is on www.clorv.org

2007 Moto March to Sacramento. Im in!

Does that link mean we need to register for the "march" on the capital? Im a little confused about that.

I've been active in the California OHV Program for about 4 years and must say that Ed Waldheim has been the most active person I've met, doing much more than his share to help us. He puts in his time, money and efforts way above the call of duty. IT'S OUR TIME TO HELP HIM OUT TO SAVE OUR OHV PROGRAM!!!

And if for some extreme reason you can't attend the Lobby Day, contact your state representitves and let them know that you are part of the OHV community and that YOU VOTE!! Let them know that there needs to be a change in the makeup of the OHMVR Commission. NO, a "click and send" email won't get the job done. Put you own short letter together.

Most likely, you have a printer hooked up to the computer that you are reading this on......start writing the letter NOW.

Wayne, please post on how we can donate to the legal fund.

Keep informed and active

Ride on

Brewster

CERA...assistant LAO

As a long-time participant of TDS, and an offroader at Truckhaven, I am grateful for the tireless effort and sacrifice of those that are fighting for us. I can't make it to Sacramento, but I can damn well send a check.:applause:

WE need to get this message out to everyone in our "family".......have you put this into every forum on TT.......don't want to miss anyone!!

thanks

It's time people!!!!

Let's show them we are serious about saving our sport.

I'll be there.

I'll go even though I live 350 miles away. What's vacation for anyway. I can't think of a better group of people to be around.

Isnt this the mother of all threads that should be stickied?

Nutshell plan:

1. Charter a bus(s) from Socal up north, split the costs

2. Enroll a sponsor(s) in Sacramento with space to let the bus(s) park and organize/split the cost of a BBQ or something to sustain everybody in the group(s) for a day.

After the long bus trip, we have a presence for the day, eat and do the return trip. LONG day, but it means only one day off work. This is doable.

Whos in and how many buses do we need?

If something like this is already started in the land use forum, my bad... Ill go look now.

The commission has cut all funding for operation and maintenance. No agency received a dollar to fix trails, clean restrooms and many did not get enforcement money.

Does this refer to Truckhaven funding? Or other areas?

Does this refer to Truckhaven funding? Or other areas?

The info is as stated, Our whole OHV program has been hijacked

by enviro zealots. I dont think people know how serious this situation

is. Yes, it does effect the entire state. Plaese go back and read what

Ed wrote word for word.

There are a couple of folks here who may be able to explain

the funding situation a bit better than myself..like Brewster or Witcher.Im

not much on accuratly interpreting the green sticker issues.

There was a bill introduced last Friday 23 that does not make the situation

much better. From what I have been reading on the CC CORVA emails,

Is sit tight for a few days, There are some new ideas floating around, and

we will have to see what comes down the pipe from Sacramento...and our

prez..Ed is coming back from Washington DC tomorrow hopfully with

good news...Stay tuned.

Wayne

The info is as stated, Our whole OHV program has been hijacked

by enviro zealots. I dont think people know how serious this situation

is. Yes, it does effect the entire state. Plaese go back and read what

Ed wrote word for word.

I have read what Ed wrote word for word, several times. However, I am confused, maybe someone can shed some light on this. I make no argument that the OHV program has been hijacked. But if you look at the OHV Commission Final Allocations it looks like there is funding for law enforcement and non-cesa projects; not all, but at least some. Anything above the red line gets funding, am I correct?

For example, look at line 19 in non-cesa projects, Mendocino NF Trail Maintenance. My interpretation is that MNF is getting $202,414 for trail maintenance. Am I wrong?

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/allocations1-29-2007.pdf

From Ed's letter: "The commission has cut all funding for operation and maintenance. No agency received a dollar to fix trails, clean restrooms and many did not get enforcement money."

Unless there has been some changes in the scores and funding, this statement is partially incorrect. MOST of the Trail Maintenance and Facilities Operation and Maintenance grant requests did drop below the funding cutoff line. It seems to be more than coincedental that Paul Spitler asked for the Trail Maintenance grants to be heard first, which was out of the order the other grants had been heard. Now, knowing the scores for the Trail Maintenance grant requests made it easier to bump other pet project scores higher than the Trail Maintenance scores. It appears that there was some score manipulation going on again this year, like last year.

It didn't go unnoticed!

And as for the Law Enforcement grant requests, there were requests for two and a half times as much money as was available. Someone had to loose.

Keep informed and active

Ride on

Brewster

CERA...assistant LAO

As a long-time participant of TDS, and an offroader at Truckhaven, I am grateful for the tireless effort and sacrifice of those that are fighting for us. I can't make it to Sacramento, but I can damn well send a check.:applause:

And send letters to your state representitives. Let them know that you are not happy with the actions of the OHMVR Commission and that you are asking for a NO vote on SB742. Let them know that you are a voter and one of over a million owners of off-road registered OHVs in CA.

Keep informed and active

Ride on

Brewster

CERA...assistant LAO

Thanks Brewster. Preparing to send a letter, just want to get my facts straight before I do.

Just wanted to bump this tread back into life.

We had a confrence call regarding this lobby day.

The registration page is now working on the CLORV.org site

There is a box to check if you want to pay for lunch and dinner,

Some folks have been complaining about the pricing, so they are

saying you can register without clicking the lunch or dinner box.

Main thing is to get the people up there and help out. There

is a strategy meeting the day before on the 18th.

Also important..fill in the box of what club you are representing..D37 or

CORVA.....

Sorry if details are a bit sketchy, I will post more info as it becomes

avalible to me...also im refraining from posting too much on the open boards.

Thanks

Wayne

Hi all, I don't post here often but browse frequently for info. I am involved with Stewards of the Sequoia, a group working to keep trails open in the Sequoia national forest, we are affiliated with CTUC. We are mainly working on trails in the Greenhorns, piutes and breckenridge which are under threat presently. This area recieved no green sticker money, 0! Make no mistake, our sport is under fire and we are going too loose riding areas unless we all work to prevent it. We have meetings with Ed and he is very commited and passionate. I plan to be in Sac for the march.

We are also trying to get Ed appointed to the OHV commission, please write or email the governor requesting Eds appointment.

We have too be vocal and persistent, this is a critical time for our sport and access too our land. We must turn the tide now or end up losing the majority of trails and riding areas we use now. I was ignorant of how serious the threat was until getting involved and meeting with the Forest Service. The USFS and BLM will shut us out unless we fight. Get involved!!! Sorry for the rant.

Thanks, Glen Maki

I have to work monday March 19th, but I can make the

 Pre-lobby day strategy session on Sunday the 18th at the

Vagabond Inn from 4-6pm.

shall I go? will I be of any use?