Are harescrambles really much harder on a bike than mx?

so what do you guys think?

specifically harescrambles but any offorad riding vs mx

i do both and the mx guys have way newer/blingier looking bikes...

bling is gay but IMO they have shinier machines, and i dont mean cleanliness either, say a perfectly clean off the showroom bike

a few more scratches are expected :applause: but give your .02

Very interesting question and observation. Yes some of the younger MXers are more into bling. It's a sign of the times.

Which is tougher on the bike? This is going to be good debate. I think if you broke it down to different parts on the bike then sum it all back up again you'd come out close to even in the end. But the cost of maintenance in the end is going to different.

Just to hit some areas but not all.

Usually a harescramble will get the bike dirtier than MX and parts like brakes air filter, chains, sprockets and such are going to wear out quicker.

Then on the MX track you are more likely to hit the rev limiter and wear out engine parts. Then there is the jumps that give the forks and shock a good work out.

Either way keep up on maintenance and all should be good.

When I go to the track, I may high side a berm and tear up my grips, maybe break a lever... other than that it gets a little dusty.

When I go out to the desert, I tear up my tire, dent my pipe in the rocks, catapult my bike up and over some rediculous hill... for sure it hammers it more. You don't need extra protection (rock guards everywhere) to ride mx. I think for sure desert/ HS/ Endure is harder on the bike all round.

Harescramble racing I think will rough up the exterior of a motorcycle more than a motocross. Extra mud from creek crossings and bogs are going to wear out chains, sprockets, bearings, etc more quickly. Bouncing off trees, rocks and hills are going to scratch up plastic and seats. Typically there is a whole lot more seat time involved as well. On the otherhand Motocross I thinkyour going to just flat out break more stuff quicker. The riding style is more high impact while HS racing is more low impact high endurance. I think if you looked at $ spent for hours of use, motocross is going to cost you more.

Harescramble racing I think will rough up the exterior of a motorcycle more than a motocross. Extra mud from creek crossings and bogs are going to wear out chains, sprockets, bearings, etc more quickly. Bouncing off trees, rocks and hills are going to scratch up plastic and seats. Typically there is a whole lot more seat time involved as well. On the otherhand Motocross I thinkyour going to just flat out break more stuff quicker. The riding style is more high impact while HS racing is more low impact high endurance. I think if you looked at $ spent for hours of use, motocross is going to cost you more.

well said

:applause: :applause:??

I hate to think of how my pretty bike will look like crap after the first HS of the year.......You can clean it all you want but the scratches on everything from wheels, frame, forks, plastic and every other part just make me want to cry:cry:

The days I go MXing, sometimes I don't even wash it and it still looks good:thumbsup:

Who cares anyway. I bought the darn thing to race and ride. When you get ready to sell it, put new plastic on it and it will look brand new. :applause:

hahaha, exactly. I don't even waste money on graphics anymore, just not worth it when I can buy new plastic cheaper than a set of graphics cost.:applause:

Rode my 07 CRF 450, which by the way only had about 20 hrs of MX on it and still look nice and new, in my first ever HS whichc was a Sand course. It was only a 1.5 hr race and we only went about 22 miles but after that race my bike looked beat! Took it home and my practically new rear sprocket is shot, chain is shot, plastics all look crap now, rear brakes are shot, rear brake line is cut, throttle was almost ripped off from bangin bars with about 3 riders in the single track sections, and everything almost vibrated lose and I somehow ripped the vent tube off my gas cap and dumped gas all over myself during one of my superman impersonations.

So I would have to say off road racing or HS is harder on the bike.

Rode my 07 CRF 450, which by the way only had about 20 hrs of MX on it and still look nice and new, in my first ever HS whichc was a Sand course. It was only a 1.5 hr race and we only went about 22 miles but after that race my bike looked beat! Took it home and my practically new rear sprocket is shot, chain is shot, plastics all look crap now, rear brakes are shot, rear brake line is cut, throttle was almost ripped off from bangin bars with about 3 riders in the single track sections, and everything almost vibrated lose and I somehow ripped the vent tube off my gas cap and dumped gas all over myself during one of my superman impersonations.

So I would have to say off road racing or HS is harder on the bike.

and you, it sounds like. :applause: :applause:

and you, it sounds like. :applause:?

Yeah, buddy! I have been racing MX for the last couple years since my buddy lead my son astray (introduced him to the track, now I can't get anybody to go woods riding with me? ).

But, I am definitely going to race a couple harescrambles this year. From what I see, it will be way rougher on both bike and rider. Two hours of hard riding non-stop. Mud and grit if it's wet, dust and grit if it's dry. A lot more traffic to muck things up. Engine will have a tougher time staying cool....working as hard, less high speed to get more air flow over the radiators.....I just think it's gonna kick a$$! I can't wait!

MX, you go out and practice for 3 or 4 laps (10 minutes?), then wait for your first moto. Go out for 10-15 minute moto. Sit on your arse for several hours, go out for a second 10-15 minute moto, load up, go home. And as a lifetime member of the "old slow guy" class, I don't really abuse the engine that much more on the track than I will in the woods.

So my inexperienced, but well-thought, vote is that harescrambles are much harder on both rider and bike.

AND I CAN'T WAIT!!!! :applause: