Sign in to follow this  

Key switch relocation? Require photos

Yes, I searched first.:applause:

I have just installed my new Pro Taper taperlite bars and Pro Taper 7/8 to 1 1/8" adapter on my S model... Now the relocation of the key switch.

I have seen photos of the key mounted on the right, upper triple tree, but I can't seem to make it work.

Do you reverse the mounting plate or what?

I have a set of Cycra Probends with the side triple tree mount comming and don't want to have to move the key again after I mount them.

I would love a quick walk through and photos from someone who has done it before.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

tough one ROb, i've had my Z for a touch more than a year... the key switch has been in at least four different locations... i actually ground off one tab and added a C clamp... i'll search for some pics... best one was the screw off the u clamp from the Ram mount...

here was the last place it was...Medium

now i took that toggle switch out of there and moved it again... now using the PT high ATV bars... with 2" rox risers... feel like ape hangers when sitting but feel great when standing...

Here is a pic of how I did mine. I simply used the original on a piece of the correct thickness aluminum scrap. Made teh large hole and the upper hole for the clamp. Then, I put a bolt through the new bracket and the clamp, using the other clamp hole for locating the new lower hole. Drilled, polished it a bit and that was that. To mount it I put spacers under the bracket to hold it about 1/32" above the bar clamp.

DRZ400SM1.jpg

Hi Robbie,

I relocated my ignition switch a couple of days ago.

I shaped the original switch bracket and drilled it to suit the bolts on the left hand front fork.

It is mounted outside of the blinker bracket.

It turned out really well.

The guide for the brake hose is now relocated to the side of the headlight frame.

Another Aussie TT forum user by the name of "Shaky 1" gave me the tip.

I will provide pics if I can get a camera and work out how to post.

Cheers

Here you go. I did it quick and easy without cutting down the original shape of the switch holder. I'm going clean it up some day, but for now it stays the way it is. I did have to trim a bit off of the inside of the headlight shroud to get the right fit. I have seen it done much better from other members here on this site, but for me this is working just fine.

DSC07501.jpg

• Like 1

Stole this photo from raptorz, i would like to see a close photo of how he did/mounted his it looks very clean IMG_0448.jpg

Yes, I searched first.:applause:

I have just installed my new Pro Taper taperlite bars and Pro Taper 7/8 to 1 1/8" adapter on my S model... Now the relocation of the key switch.

I have seen photos of the key mounted on the right, upper triple tree, but I can't seem to make it work.

Do you reverse the mounting plate or what?

I have a set of Cycra Probends with the side triple tree mount comming and don't want to have to move the key again after I mount them.

I would love a quick walk through and photos from someone who has done it before.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Okay Robbie..............try this simple mount :cry:........I also built the custom flasher mount to go with it. I didn't cut the key metal mount to a smaller size cuz I'm not sure I will leave it here, or find another location. ALso, I will mod it further when I get that CYCLOPS mounted soon I hope :applause:

Of course, you may have already seen this pic in my garage:

I hope this helps..............later man!

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=35151

Happy Riding !!

:lol::cry:

i just bought the same set up as you, i used the stock bolts to the 7/8 clamps and used them to mount the pro taper adapters, so you end up with some extra bolts that come with the adapter, cut one of the holes off of the ignition bracket and bolt it back on like it was. sorry no pics, i'm a lazy sob.

i could clean this up a bit but probably won't, i'm lazy. enjoy.....

drz450_tag_triple.jpg

Here's the way I did mine:prof:

I found that there were two un-used holes on the clutch side of the upper triple tree, just below the turn signal indicater lights. I bent the key switch mounting bracket 90* at the big hole in the plate and installed the plate in one of the un-used holes.

A bit of minor tuning to the plate had it sitting flush with the triple tree.

It's a bit hard to get a gloved hand into the key, and removal of the key requires fiddling around the front brake cable, but at least I don't have to get off the bike to turn the key.

What do you think?:applause:

Also, how do you like the new bars?:applause:

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

Tiewraps.... got to love 'em.

I was using black colored ones but changed them to red for clarity in these photos. I use 2 tiewraps, one around the indicator bracket and one around the fork.

To move the ignition switch over to the side, I dismounted the headlight shroud, only 3 Phillips screws, so that I could route the wires cleanly across. The wires are long enough.

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Here is a pic of how I did mine. I simply used the original on a piece of the correct thickness aluminum scrap. Made teh large hole and the upper hole for the clamp. Then, I put a bolt through the new bracket and the clamp, using the other clamp hole for locating the new lower hole. Drilled, polished it a bit and that was that. To mount it I put spacers under the bracket to hold it about 1/32" above the bar clamp.

DRZ400SM1.jpg

Clean finish!:applause: