Sign in to follow this  

Newbie questions - Yes I did some searches

Just picked up an 03' KLX400 (The green DRZ.)

Only has 1bout 1300 miles, looks nice.

Was completely dry (gas) for storage I'm told.

Added gas, checked other fluids etc. Fired up after charging the battery for quite a while, but won't idle and sputters. Didn't seem bad going down the road on the throttle. Thoughts ? Gunky carb perhaps? (My 1st "modern" 4 stroke - still have a garage full of KX/KDX/RM's etc. )

Also (probably a stupid Q) but what is the hole in the left side of the jug for?

Also - my last 4 stroke was an XR - I did a bunch of "free" mods to that dubber the "Gordon mods" that made an enormous difference. Is there any easy obvious stuff like that for this bike to spunk it up?

Clean the float bowl, and carb jet, make sure the air filter is clean,and if it wont idle turn up the idle screw a bit. and do the mods in the DRZ Forum

I think that little hole is just for draining purposes...I'd take off the carb and give it a good cleaning paying extra attention to the pilot and main jets...

Congrats on the new ride!...

Also (probably a stupid Q) but what is the hole in the left side of the jug for?

Drainage hole for the spark plug recess.

Remove the plug cap, and blow through the little hole with compressed air, before removing the plug.

Neil. :applause: :applause: :lol:

Just picked up an 03' KLX400

Also - my last 4 stroke was an XR - I did a bunch of "free" mods to that dubber the "Gordon mods" that made an enormous difference. Is there any easy obvious stuff like that for this bike to spunk it up?

3x3 airbox mod and dj or jd kit (roughly $60 mod) with good jetting.

Been a few weeks, but finally pulled my carb to check the jets tonight (and at the same time am doing the 3x3 thing.) The carb actually looked nice and clean - so not sure why it was running poorly (wouldn't idle.) But here's my new dilema. Figured I'd also put a new plug in while the tank is off. Blew with compressed air through the vent hole as suggested then tried to take the plug out. Really tight, so I put a shot of penetrating oil in the hole. Stuggled to get it out only to find it had been cross threaded it appears from the prior owner. Aluminum pack neatly into several of the plug threads. Now what do I do? Is it feasible to get a tap, grease the crap out of it and try to chase the threads - or am I facing a tear down?