Sign in to follow this  

IMS 4.9 gallon tank

I just measure the capacity of my new "4.9" gal tank. It's 5 gallons. :applause: I didn't trust it till now. It doesn't trap much (maybe .3 gal) on the right side either. Of course, you can get that by tipping the bike. So the range is now 200-250 miles.

:applause: i'm only getting around 150 before reserve on a tank. i only put about 4.5 gallons in it, jetted/piped... and i am known as MR. WTFO. :lol:

beats the hell out of 86 miles with the stock tank...:applause:

btw, i had heard of problems with sealing around the petcock. i used the supplied equipment and did not overtighten. no problems. you?

The IMS 'gasket' is a horrible joke. Its best to replace with a proper one.

Since this came up, has any one used the Pingle petcock with an IMS tank?

Just went over 210 miles today,still have not hit reserve.....If i keep it sane around town or under 65 on the freeway it usually goes to around 220.

I got a pingle with mine - don't know what seal was used as Jess assembled it. So far no leaks.

Just went over 210 miles today,still have not hit reserve.....If i keep it sane around town or under 65 on the freeway it usually goes to around 220.

sane in town for me is around 65...:applause:

anything less than 75 on the freeway and your a speedbump.

:applause: i'm only getting around 150 before reserve on a tank. i only put about 4.5 gallons in it, jetted/piped... and i am known as MR. WTFO. :cry:

beats the hell out of 86 miles with the stock tank...:applause:

btw, i had heard of problems with sealing around the petcock. i used the supplied equipment and did not overtighten. no problems. you?

Holy Schmoly! I guess you are Mr. WTFO.... 86 miles before switching to reserve? My bike is a CA model so the tank holds .2 gal less fuel. I've been going right at 120 miles before I switch it to reserve. Yesterday's fill up was 121 miles at 2.41 gallons for 50.2 mpg. So lets see, you have 2.6 gals before switching to reserve. 86 / 2.6= 33.1mpg :cry: I've renamed you to Main-Jet-Spuddy. :lol:

I ran out of gas last weekend, had to push the bike uphill about 1km to a gas station. Luckily my wife was on the bike with me, so we could both push. I think she was less pissed off than I was. Well much to my surprise my IMS tank took 5.3 gallons. So either the tank is bigger than advertised, or the gas station is ripping people off.

Holy Schmoly! I guess you are Mr. WTFO.... 86 miles before switching to reserve? My bike is a CA model so the tank holds .2 gal less fuel. I've been going right at 120 miles before I switch it to reserve. Yesterday's fill up was 121 miles at 2.41 gallons for 50.2 mpg. So lets see, you have 2.6 gals before switching to reserve. 86 / 2.6= 33.1mpg :cry: I've renamed you to Main-Jet-Spuddy. :applause:

and that was stock...:lol:

i've seen as high as 50mpg but that was in the mountains and riding in a group. down here my commuting is 95% highway and it basically wide open throttle until i hit the off ramp in front of work. strangely enough, after jetting and pipe, my gas mileage is about the same or a hair better. :applause:

Well much to my surprise my IMS tank took 5.3 gallons. So either the tank is bigger than advertised, or the gas station is ripping people off.

I did my fill experiment in two stages so I didn't want to make too precise a claim. When I added it all up my tank took 5.1 gallons and there was still a little space left. I'm glad it's a little bigger than advertised.

Offroad you might not want the tank filled all the way to the top - I think the tank shape pushes the gas through the vent easily. I noticed this the first time I rode it and I didn't have a vent tube yet. I had a little gasoline geyser on bumps. I have a tube on it now but I'm still a little worried about that aspect. Today I'll see if it's an issue by watching if any gas shoots out of the tube offroad. If it does I think it's simple to devise an inline baffle to stop gas from being injected into the tube.

FWISW, because of the pyramidal shape of the tank this is probably an issue for the top half gallon of volume or so.

i wouldn't advise wheelies without a hose on the cap unless you like the feel of gas on your privates...:applause: :applause:

i bought the vented shorty hose from the TT store and narry a problem while one wheeling it.

Luckily my wife was on the bike with me, so we could both push.

LOL! So that's why you ask her along!!!

Do you have to trim the cooling fins on the motor for petcock clearance?

Offroad you might not want the tank filled all the way to the top

Just tested - no problem with a vent tube.

Do you have to trim the cooling fins on the motor for petcock clearance?

No, absolutely not. The petcock, Pingle in my case, is 1.25 inches outboard of the fins. The IMS supplied petcock is even smaller than the Pingle. For some reason the stock petcock can't be used with the IMS tank. Most would say don't use it anyway

Pingle petcock installed by Jesse and no leaks. Top's off around 5.0 gal. Have the natural see through color. See garage for photos.

Very Happy thanks to Jesse.

Just tested - no problem with a vent tube.

No, absolutely not. The petcock, Pingle in my case, is 1.25 inches outboard of the fins. The IMS supplied petcock is even smaller than the Pingle. For some reason the stock petcock can't be used with the IMS tank. Most would say don't use it anyway

Is the pingle not vacuum operated either? All of my carb bikes have always been vacuum operated, and I have never used anything else. I reckon that it is pretty much ON, OFF and RESERVE for aftermarket petcocks? Do they work just as well as the stock unit? You can use the stock petcock, you just have to trim the fins a bit.....no big deal IMHO.

Me too with the stock petcock on the IMS tank. As long as it continues to work properly, I like it as it is one less thing to remember to do to :applause: .

I haven't had much problem with vacuum operated petcocks till the DR650, which was balky going from reg to reserve. It'd almost always died to a stop before any gas would flow (when I started it up again). I assume the diaphragm was failing or weak.

Anyway, the Pingel has off (forward), on (backward), reserve (middle). It's just a sturdy little ball valve not much could go wrong. Got to remember to turn it off and on.