Sign in to follow this  

Tips for the hills.

keep my body vertical. give gas but not constant. I use the clutch alot so you don't slip AS much.

I think the most important thing to do is keep your body completely straight vertically. When I used to lean really far forward, my rear tire would always slip cause there was no weight on the rear.

Start with your butt farther back to put more power to the ground. When you have as much momentum as you are going to get (before pulling the front wheel up), then lean more forward, not too much or you will spin the rear wheel (lose traction). Keep the R's up and make use of that clutch.

When going up the hill and you are not going to make it, turn right when laying the bike down. It is easier to kickstart the bike with the kicker facing away from the hill than towards it. It probably doesnt make sense by reading this but trust me your better off.:applause: Second tip is dont take any hills you dont feel comfortable with and third, Have fun!

put my butt over the rear tire, lean my chest over the handlebars, pin it and hold on. Picking a good line also helps.

Since I have a 450F I can get away with just upshifting revving it up and dropping the clutch.

Back when I actually had to work to make it up hills (on my 125) I would just down/upshift to powerband, stand up on pegs with chest touching the barpad and just pin it. I would then just get a full grip on the grips (no fingers on clutch or brake lever) and hold on. Normally with the pin it, lean way forward and hold on technique I could make it up most hills.....but as was said before you might have to clutch it if you start losing power.

keep my body vertical. give gas but not constant. I use the clutch alot so you don't slip AS much.

I think the most important thing to do is keep your body completely straight vertically. When I used to lean really far forward, my rear tire would always slip cause there was no weight on the rear.

Any particular reason for not keeping the throttle constant? :applause:

When everything else fail on your way up , an e-start makes life so much easier.

A few tips that I have learned over the years (I ONLY do hillclimbs, and they work for me):

1. If you don't have a running start, then pinning it right at the bottom is not going to get you anywhere. Pinning it off the get-go will just put you on your ass, or will spin the back tire. Instead, drag the clutch, that way your Rpm's are up as well as your power, and there is minimal tire spin and hardly any wheelies.

2. Pick your line BEFORE you go up the hill. It makes it 1000 times harder to just go up it, not knowing where you go. If you have time (which is most the time), sit at the bottom and choose your line first. It gives you a much better chance of making it up, trust me!

3. Remember this: if you struggle from the get-go, you will most likely struggle all the way up..so in those cases, just stop and go back down and try it again. It is always easier to turn around at the bottom than it is at the top.

4. If your going to fall, fall on your clutch lever side. You can alway shift/downshift without a clutch, but it is VERY hard to ride down/around without a front brake.

5. Take a deep breath and go for it. If you sit too long, you will start to worry about possible mistakes. Take a minute, browse around, pick your line, and go for it.

6. Most hills look alot steeper from the ground. Once you're on the hill, it is infact much easier. You know a hill is steep when you wheelie no matter what.

7. Stand up. It is much easier on yourself and the bike if you stand up. You have much greater control, and your knees and elbows make a great 2nd suspension.

These are just some basic things that I have use/have been taught over the years.

you get off the bike and run along side...no, im just kidding

i just sit back with my chest over the bars. stay slow at first with alot of clutch then start to pin the bike a little bit more.

Make sure you are in the right gear----better to be in too high of a gear, than too low! trust me hahaha

make sure you have you weight balanced.

When going up the hill and you are not going to make it, turn right when laying the bike down. It is easier to kickstart the bike with the kicker facing away from the hill than towards it.

This really is good advice...something I need to work on myself. Of course, it is not really necessary to turn the bike on to ride DOWN the hill but it helps if you are on a long hill and want to try and continue upward.

Another trick when you fail on a tight hill...lean the bike over and wiggle the front back and forth while pushing it down the hill. This will help pivot your bike and aim you to go back down.

The final thing I learned last fall...standing is MUCH easier. It puts the weight onto the pegs and not the suspension. Learn to stand on smaller hills and work your way up.

Finally, if possible, go the long way around on difficult hills and go down them first.

A few tips that I have learned over the years (I ONLY do hillclimbs, and they work for me):

1. If you don't have a running start, then pinning it right at the bottom is not going to get you anywhere. Pinning it off the get-go will just put you on your ass, or will spin the back tire. Instead, drag the clutch, that way your Rpm's are up as well as your power, and there is minimal tire spin and hardly any wheelies.

2. Pick your line BEFORE you go up the hill. It makes it 1000 times harder to just go up it, not knowing where you go. If you have time (which is most the time), sit at the bottom and choose your line first. It gives you a much better chance of making it up, trust me!

3. Remember this: if you struggle from the get-go, you will most likely struggle all the way up..so in those cases, just stop and go back down and try it again. It is always easier to turn around at the bottom than it is at the top.

4. If your going to fall, fall on your clutch lever side. You can alway shift/downshift without a clutch, but it is VERY hard to ride down/around without a front brake.

5. Take a deep breath and go for it. If you sit too long, you will start to worry about possible mistakes. Take a minute, browse around, pick your line, and go for it.

6. Most hills look alot steeper from the ground. Once you're on the hill, it is infact much easier. You know a hill is steep when you wheelie no matter what.

7. Stand up. It is much easier on yourself and the bike if you stand up. You have much greater control, and your knees and elbows make a great 2nd suspension.

These are just some basic things that I have use/have been taught over the years.

This guy knows his stuff!! Great tips. :applause:

When going up the hill and you are not going to make it, turn right when laying the bike down. It is easier to kickstart the bike with the kicker facing away from the hill than towards it. It probably doesnt make sense by reading this but trust me your better off.:applause: Second tip is dont take any hills you dont feel comfortable with and third, Have fun!

Thank-you! So simple, yet very helpful. :lol: You don't know how many times I turned to the left and wished my left leg was 2 feet longer...You think I would have figured that out on my own. :applause: Great thread, thanks guys. :cry: