Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Basket tool alternatives?

Im looking to put a kick starter on my 04 TC450 and I see that I'll have to remove the clutch basket, the manual shows a special tool. The kit costs about $300. and I just want to keep my expenses to a minimum. So what is the best way to remove the clutch basket short, pay the shop to do it, buy the tool, or ? Im willing to do it myself but dont want to buy more tools unless I have to. My E-start still works great I just want to ride in more remote and tighter trails, and dont like to rely on a battery. TIA

There are several ways to go about removing the basket. An impact gun works best. You an pick one up cheap or throw the bike in the back of the truck/trailer and the nearest automotive shop or bike dealer will zip it off for next to nothing or free.

On some 2 smokes in the past I have used a "one size fits all" oil filter wrench on the flywheel to keep the motor form turning over, and then loosened the nut that way. Not sure if this will work on the Husky's or not, haven't seen what the flywheel looks like yet. Be careful.

A method I have read about but have no experience with is to put a piece of soft metal like copper between two of the gears under the clutch cover, they will bind up and keep the motor from turning over while you loosen the nut.

Hope this helps.

i carefully placed a flat-blade screwdriver in the main gear thing. be warned, i dont wanna be blamed if somehow you break anythign while doing this.

also a note, i worked and worked and could never get my kick lever to operate freely. it works but every time i tightened down the side-case bolts it would make it tight so the lever will not return under spring power. i dont knwo why

Hummmm this is how I did mines.. drain the oil , took the cover out, put the bike in 2nd gear, Step on the rear brakes and untorque that giant nut off after you take the nut lock that is.. Had to take the basket off my bike to put a Surflex slipper on. hot that hard really..

I second the impact wrench, spins the nut off easily. Put a sharpie pen mark on the nut and threaded shaft and carefully use the impact to put it back on right to the mark...same torque.

Ive got an impact gun, that should work, just need a 27mm socket, not too bad. I guess Ill go ahead and order the kit. Thanks for the help:ride: :applause:

Ive got an impact gun, that should work, just need a 27mm socket, not too bad. I guess Ill go ahead and order the kit. Thanks for the help:ride: :applause:

1 1/16 inches = 26.9875 millimeters, pretty darn close. Works fine on the rear axle nut too. Already owning the tool (SAE) is my mother of invention.

HVA recommends alu instead of copper...BTW, several brands use what it seems a 1/4 primary gear with a small shaft welded to it to lock primary transmission...that should be great to remove flywheel...wonder the price of a primary gear...OT, i have send a PM to you about thermal switch.

There are several ways to go about removing the basket. An impact gun works best. You an pick one up cheap or throw the bike in the back of the truck/trailer and the nearest automotive shop or bike dealer will zip it off for next to nothing or free.

On some 2 smokes in the past I have used a "one size fits all" oil filter wrench on the flywheel to keep the motor form turning over, and then loosened the nut that way. Not sure if this will work on the Husky's or not, haven't seen what the flywheel looks like yet. Be careful.

A method I have read about but have no experience with is to put a piece of soft metal like copper between two of the gears under the clutch cover, they will bind up and keep the motor from turning over while you loosen the nut.

Hope this helps.

1 1/16 inches = 26.9875 millimeters, pretty darn close. Works fine on the rear axle nut too. Already owning the tool (SAE) is my mother of invention.

Also works on the steering stem nut.

What you mean with that of the 1 1/16 inches ?!?

TIA,

AJSB

What you mean with that of the 1 1/16 inches ?!?

TIA,

AJSB

I mean that one can use a 1 1/16" size socket in place of a 27mm socket as the measurements are essentially the same. In the USA we still use SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) measurement nuts and bolts, it's the English measurement system of inches...though metric is becoming much more common than 30 years ago.

In the 70s the President (and perhaps Congress) said the whole country would switch to the metric system, but it faded away a few years later, and we still primarily use inches.

Many more people in the US will have a large socket set that measures in inches vs. large socket set in mm.

I second the impact wrench, spins the nut off easily. Put a sharpie pen mark on the nut and threaded shaft and carefully use the impact to put it back on right to the mark...same torque.

Friggin Brilliant!

There are 3 types of folks that read this:

1. The type that just do what it says because it said to do it.

2. The type that don't understand it and won't do it.

3. The type that laughed, thought about it, scrached their nuts, thought

some more, and said "F*&K", now that's friggin clever!!!

I'll be a "2"......

Friggin Brilliant...........

What you want is a gear holding tool sold by motion pro this is like a Mole Grip but has two legs which grips the clutch hub to stop it turning.Then use the air wrench to undo the large nut.This tool is great & is mega usefull/universal prevents taking any risk in breaking any clutch parts etc especially alloy baskets.I've done countless repairs where people have damaged the clutch center fingers where the clutch springs are fixed.

Also watch if you use an air wrench to tighten up clutch nuts & crank nuts with an air wrench they can put a lot of pressure on cam chain tensioners when they are trying to turn the motor backwards.4 stroke motors are only safe to turn one way.Fortunetly the ratched camchain Tensioners on most Husky motors are strong but be careful.

I know that they are very popular but i never liked air wrenches....HVA should have done a tool also to hold the flywheel...i read that some use a kinda of oil filter wrench (the one that uses a (leather ?) belt ?) to hold the flywheel but did anyone really used that system with a HVA ?