Sign in to follow this  

My mistake:Air filter cleaning

What do most of you guys use to clean your air filters? I've used two different brands of aerosol filter cleaners and about wiped the family out from the fumes ( yes the garage was well ventilated ). Do you also soak the filter for a period of time or massage the cleaner then immediatly rinse in water? This technology is alot different now compared to the days of gasoline and 30wt. oil on the filter.Thanks for the help.

Try No-Toil, you won't put yer family in danger one bit and can do it in the kitchen sink..

or if you dont have that, go with warm water and some good dishwashing liquid.. dont use HOT hot water.. filter got deformed to shat that way..

• Like 1

Try No-Toil, you won't put yer family in danger one bit and can do it in the kitchen sink..

or if you dont have that, go with warm water and some good dishwashing liquid.. dont use HOT hot water.. filter got deformed to shat that way..

+ 1 on the dish soap, one of the cheapest & best degreasers around, also works great & cleaning all the grease\oil\grunge off your hands when you're done

I use Motorex cleaner and oil. Works pretty good for me after desert races and gets the filter pretty darn clean. I have never used any other cleaners such as No-Toil so can't compare. But the Motorex stuff is bio-degradable and you can use it in your kitchen as well with no fumes.

I use Motorex too. Great stuff! Just put your dirty filter in a large ziplock and pour in some cleaner. Zip it up while working out excess air and work it around until it suds up real good. Rinse it out. Hang it up to dry. Then put it in another large ziplock. Pour in some Motorex oil and work that around until the color is even. You won't need too much oil. I have 2 filters and keep one in the oil ziplock until ready for use. Had a riding buddy show me this process and been doing it this way for a few years now...

I use the Twin Air cleaner and still use dishwashing soap afterward. I buy the cleaner in the gallon jug and reuse it over and over just to break up the filter oil. Dishwashing soap works just fine if your worried about fumes.

Take it outside... I soaked up a bit of gasoline on a shop rag once, and then forgot it was laying on the workbench.

Fumes drifted up into our bedroom over the garage, and it was amazing how much mileage I got out of that little bit of gas! :applause:

Use no-toil cleaner first to get most of the dirt and follow up with another washing with dish soap and it will look like new. This is easy and your motor's

biggest lifeline.

I use putoline and twin air oil (same company) and to clean the air filter i use a NON BIO washing powder the same stuff you would use to clean your clothes as its the same stuff as twin air uses for there filter cleaner. i found out this infomation in a news paper called mcn (motor cycle newes) and so i tried it and it worked no problems and the best thing is you can buy a big box of it for less money than twin air, just make sure its NON BIO. Ricky

I've been using Rock Oil "SWWAFF"(Synthetic Washable Air Filter Fluid) Funky name but it has served me well. I do the dishwasher detergent routine and rinse it out, then apply the SWWAFF 1 day before using.

Jerry

I'm with Jerulator.Rock is the go.Forget all the nonsense about it washing out in creek crossings etc.It doesn't happen.

Soak the filter in kerosene-assuming you are using an oil based filter oil. Squeeze never wring multiple times. R&R with fresh kerosene and repeat. Squeeze out keresene and drop the filter in a bucket of warm water with liquid dish soap and rinse many times R&R soap and water a few times (cheap insurance) Finally rinse in clean warm water. Squeeze out the water and set somewhere clean and warm to air dry.

Most companies say do not use gas as a solvent because the new glues can dissolve

Inspect the filter before you use it again. A grain of sand left behind can be $$$.

That is the ONLY correct way to do this:prof: :bonk: