Sign in to follow this  

Chain shot after on ride???

How do I know if my chain is shot?

Here's the deal. I bought a Primary Drive gold, non-o-ring and went for a serious ride yesterday. We did 40 miles and a lot of it was in major thick, caking mud. My chain was so dirty after this one ride I took it off to clean it. My first indication was the chain felt very different from when I put it on a few days prior right out the box. I feel slight slop side to side between the links. Could it be toast after one ride?

You can kill a conventional chain/sprocket set in one long mud ride. You'll need to measure it to determine if it's toast. You may want to take a look at your brake pads while you are at it.

put the chain back on...and make sure the tension is correct...then on the rear sprocket, pull on the chain on the side of the sprocket...and if u can clearly see the top of the sprocket toooth's, then they have stretched...also check if the teeth on the sprockets are rounded... wow 40 miles in mud is harsh on ur sprockets and chain...

non 0-ring chains are poop

yea they are worth the extra 15-20 buks, espeically D.I.D.

some 0 ring chains can be really expensive

The only non O-ring chain that is any good is the DID 520ERT2. I have run this chain on my bikes for a couple desert races and it held up. Not as good as an O-ring would but better than any other I have tryed.:applause:

The only time a non o-ring chain is any good is if you only ride in dry conditions.

Personally, I would never run anything but the DID x-ring chain, especially on a 450.

How do I know if my chain is shot?

Here's the deal. I bought a Primary Drive gold, non-o-ring and went for a serious ride yesterday. We did 40 miles and a lot of it was in major thick, caking mud. My chain was so dirty after this one ride I took it off to clean it. My first indication was the chain felt very different from when I put it on a few days prior right out the box. I feel slight slop side to side between the links. Could it be toast after one ride?

i have a stock poop chain off my 07 i will sell you

Thanks for the input guys, Rocky Mountain is taking the chain back and I am going to upgrade into an X-ring.

Thanks for the input guys, Rocky Mountain is taking the chain back and I am going to upgrade into an X-ring.

Be sure to run a spacer, that is one W-I-D-E chain.