Sign in to follow this  

XR200?? Should I??

Hey everyone!

I currently have a XR100 and DRZ125 so i am familiar with dirt bikes and how to ride. But always wanted extra oomph!

Today i seen in the paper locally, an 1983 XR200 for $650. I came here to ask if it was a deal? Is this bike reliable like my lil xr100?? Any thing i should know would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Well I would say that it would depend on how much extra "oomph" you are looking for, and how much you are willing to spend to get it. The 200 would be a relatively good step up from your current bikes, however, it is still pretty underpowered compared to other bikes. It is slightly risky getting an '83, unless you are into restoring it. The 200 is extremely reliable, however, as with any bike, maintenance and the number of hours on the bike make a big difference. If the bike is in good shape, I would try to get it for $500. If it was excellent condition, maybe $600. If the bike looks like it has had the piss beaten out of it, I would pay much less, and be considering how much time and money I really want to put into it.

. It is slightly risky getting an '83, unless you are into restoring it.

Why is it risky?

If the XR200 is in great shape, go for it. It is not in great shape, it could be a lot of work. At 23 years old, I'll bet it is older than you.

Back in that era, there was the XR200 and XR200R.

XR200 is dual shock.

XR200R is a linked single shock.

I have a 73 XL100 and 79 XR80 I am restoring.

There are a few of us whom just finished or about to finish restoring a couple of 81-83 XR200Rs. you want the R and not the plain xr200. I have about $300 in mine the other guy about a $1000. You can tell the difference. However I did trade for some of the parts and found some awesome deals on a few things on e-bay and from some local members here. If it is a 200r then I say talk him down as much as you can and go for it.

Hey Rev Hard I see you're on the Big Isle, I'm here on the GI. The 200 has alot more power than your DRZ125. Like the other are saying try it out first, see if starts and sound right to you. What you're looking for is the Reservoir type rear shock and I'm pretty sure the Forks & shock has a longer travel than the one in the Nineties.

I'm currently working on my son's xr200r. I ride a 125 also, fits my size what I can handle. To me the 200 is okay, like the power but a bit on the Heavy side and size wise. My son is bigger than me so its okay for him.

If that 83 is street Legal or can be that would be better. I'd run it on the street as a Dual Sport. It also could be a Money Pit. Good luck.

Its a regular XR200 with no R at the end. I think i'm gonna pass on it cause it looks like it needs some work. Thanks for the replies though everyone!