Sign in to follow this  

what will happen if...

i pull my timing plug out 2 anodize it????? should i do it or will it just cause me problems?? :applause:

your oil will pour out and your timing will be way off when you put it back together!!

just kidding. i dont think it will do anything. unless im thinking of the wrong plug. you are talking about the big one on the clutch side with the hex wrench thing right? they sell those anodized, so i would imagine doing it yourself wouldnt cause any problems... just make sure you dont get crap in the hole while the plug is out.

i tried anodizing parts once.. looked like crap.. hahah

yea remember me...yea i tried it out without the adhesive stuff, and wat happened is the paint wouldn't stick , so i had to make a lot of coats, as a result u get some wet spots...but metalcast is good only if u buy the adhesive promoter,, makes the surface stcik enough that all u need is 2 coats, and it will be perfect

yea remember me...yea i tried it out without the adhesive stuff, and wat happened is the paint wouldn't stick , so i had to make a lot of coats, as a result u get some wet spots...but metalcast is good only if u buy the adhesive promoter,, makes the surface stcik enough that all u need is 2 coats, and it will be perfect

Yeah...I think several people tried to tell you that in your last post :applause: Do you have access to a bead / sand blaster? That would clean it up and you could do it the right way.

Yeah...I think several people tried to tell you that in your last post :applause: Do you have access to a bead / sand blaster? That would clean it up and you could do it the right way.

yea like i bought the asv red levers, and red timing and oil filler caps and red water/oil filter cover, but i wanted to paint them to see how they would look...but like b4 i got them i used dupilcolor metalcast...and i was telling him to use the adhesive stuff first, to make the surface sticky and allow the paint to stick really well...so i got out the duplicolor metalcast , and tried it alone on a set of bicylce levers...then did it with the adhesive promoter stuff.. there was a big difference

yea like i bought the asv red levers, and red timing and oil filler caps and red water/oil filter cover, but i wanted to paint them to see how they would look...but like b4 i got them i used dupilcolor metalcast...and i was telling him to use the adhesive stuff first, to make the surface sticky and allow the paint to stick really well...so i got out the duplicolor metalcast , and tried it alone on a set of bicylce levers...then did it with the adhesive promoter stuff.. there was a big difference

yea i got the primer and everything but...what happened when u pulled out ur timing plug. i dont wanna pull it out a have it mess everything up

I wish my bike came with a large red arrow! and a spot light.... thats gottat make maintenance a breeze!:applause:

i think he was talking about anodizing... not painting...

anodizing > painting

i think he was talking about anodizing... not painting...

anodizing > painting

yea i know the can that he's using is Duplicolor metalcast..red anodized

what will happen???

wat do u mean :applause:

i would say no it wont hurt a thing since u have to remove that plug to line up marks so u can check valve clearences and other valve train related maintence!

racer24 im talking about what will happen if i take the timing plug outta the bike 2 paint it.....like will it hurt the bike or mess sumthin up in the engine

the timing plugs are meant to be taken out to properly set the cam's punchmarks, lobes and valves to be set properly b4 any adjusment is made (i.e top end jobs, reshimming jobs, etc)...its is also used to time the valve train..and inside would be a punch mark on the crankshaft and truning the crank with a socket wrench will line up with a slash mark on the crankcase with the slash mark on the crankshaft...this is to line the piston and crank at TDC (Top Dead Center)...the thing is on kawi's the there are two timing plugs on the generator side..one hole to turn the crank over and the other to look in to distinguish wether or not the piston is at TDC...and hopefull if the piston is at tdc, then everything else should be timed properly...but on honda's the timing plug is on the other side of the crankcase, the clutch side...and its fairly low..i kno that if i were to take out the generator cover, oil would come out..but if i just unscrewed the plugs, no oil wouldn't come out, cause the oil level is fairly low...here is a pic http://www.motorcycledaily.com/060106bottom450.jpg ------> (the magnesium generator cover and the timing plugs)

to play it safe..drain the oil(s)..i think u guys have seperate tranny and engine oil..kawi uses the same oil for both purposes

also when u do anodize it..make sure to have the metalcast can about 6 inches away from the object

no but to play it safe, drain the oils, its just a plug to look into to line up the valve train, cams, and piston...