Sign in to follow this  

Too much bike?

I'm 5'9 175-180lbs.Riding level i'd say is intermediate. I've never raced but I don't want to go out and buy a bike that I won't be happy with. I was wondering what the suggested rider height and weight is for this bike. My last bike was a yz125 and I found myself riding a relatives 250 twostroke more often. Any suggestions. I've been told its a lot of bike to handle.

man I way 140 wet at 5'9". I am a Juniour rider and can handle it just fine. If you are worried its too much bike for you your obviously not as good as you think you are.

Settle down! Just never ridden a 450. I've heard there a bit heavier and they sit a bit higher than a few others thats all. But thanks for the input. The 450 is what i'll be getting.

5'9 175-180lbs you can keep the stock springs.

You can also consider your self a C-Class rider till they move you to the B-Class....

That's the way it works.

If you don't race. You can't consider yourself anything but a novice.

5'9 175-180lbs you can keep the stock springs.

You can also consider your self a C-Class rider till they move you to the B-Class....

That's the way it works.

If you don't race. You can't consider yourself anything but a novice.

I dont know if i agree with the novice statement. I mean its kinda bullshit. A dude that has been riding off road in the mountains for 10 years and has never raced is not a novice. A dude that has been racing for 1 year in c-class could still be a novice.

As far as racing ranks you could say the ten year riding off road guy is a novice but we arent talking racing were talking about whether he can handle the bike or not.

Racing and riding off road are two totally different things. I rode for 12 years before I started racing. When I started racing I was a novice racer, for sure.

Maybe I can help answer your question. I used to club race 125s MXers 11+ years ago, and only recently got back into the sport.

Ques re-phrased: To buy or not to buy a 450F MX bike?

Skill level is mostly irrelvant. If you are after fun and relatively low maintenance from a 4-stroke MX bike, then the KX450F can be a dream bike. If you can afford it, then get one. BUT, you must then get a decent front tire, and get a new rear tire too if the stock D756 is worn. AND then setup your suspension right for your weight and the tightness of the tracks/turns you expect to be doing. Then assuming you maintain it, your machine will behave very well indeed.

When my friends of similar body weight ride my KX450F, they sometimes get off it with a smile and say "Sh!t that thing handles well ... I mistakenly thought you were just a good rider". In other words almost anyone can ride it and ride it quite fast around corners with little practise.

I am 74kg (163lbs) without riding gear. 5'9" tall and I can just touch the ground both sides. I've been riding mostly on friend's farms with our own tight MX circuits and easy/low jumps. Soil is mostly soft, sometimes sandy/dusty when dry. I put a Michelin S12 on the front and was so impressed that felt like giving the D742F a cerimonial burning for wasting so much of my time and effort! Next I put the correct spring in the rear (4.8 kg per whatever) and reset my rider sag to 102mm (static=35mm). Wow, smooth rear end all of a sudden. Then I let the fork legs come up 4mm (was 7mm now 11) until the machine was just on the verge of headshake on fast straight sections. Wow again. Fine tuning the clickers along the way. Now it turns in no problem, and rarely steps out on the exits with throttle wide open. The engine is just grunt on tap. Which gives you more room for error in some situations.

In summary: How heavy any 450F feels (on the ground) has much to do with how well it behaves, and unless you get real lucky with setup, how it behaves it up to you. They are *completely* adjustable.

Thanks for that info. I'll be getting the 450 and will have to post pictures of it. If I can figure out how to. haha.

Im 5'7" 155lbs, and just came off of a 250f. The only way that it would be too much bike for you, is if you insanely hold it wide open. There is such a thing as throttle control. Ride smart, and good luck on the purchase. You wont regret it!!