Sign in to follow this  

yz or crf

I can get either a brand new 06 crf250r or a brand new 06 yz250f for the same price. It is the hardest desicion I have no idea which one to get. I ride open stuff with jumps, maybe sometimes a few trails, and il go to the track ever once in a while. I know both have maintenance but I want one with good performance and reliability. Which one do you recommend that I get??? I also have this posted in the yz forum.

im happy with my crf(06), if you want sumthin that may be a little more reliable and are on the lazy side of mantainance go with the yzf. but overall bike, the crf rules. take care of it and it will take care of you!!good luck!!

i was in the same situation not too long ago and i decided to go with the crf because to me it was a nicer looking bike and i am a honda man, so i bought a 2004 crf250r last weekend. from all the searchin i did i found out that the crf had a smoother power curve but the yzf was a little easier to maintain for all years. both bikes have a few ups and downs but are pretty much the same to me. I say just pick a color you like and go with it, or what ever dealership (honda or yami) is closer (in case you ever need a mechanic and it wont be hard to get too) and go with that bike! Good luck on your purchase! :applause:

dude crf's the way 2 go. great power handeling and everything fits perfectly like everything where it needs 2 be. it is a honda of course. i love my 06 by the way

Predictably, every response in the YZ forum says to get the YZ...every response in the CRF forum says to get the CRF...what does that tell you!

The only difference you are going to notice between the two bikes is color. People will tell you little things like power curve this, valves that, but bottom line...you are not going to notice. Look for the best price on the most well maintained bike.

Just maintain your bike and learn how to ride whatever bike you choose. And those that say one will smoke the other in a race have no freaking clue. It is ALL about the rider! Put the rider who said that up against an A-class YZ85 rider and I bet the 85 will smoke him!

:applause:

My cousin has an 06yzf, and i have an 05crf. Riding both I noticed that the gearing on his yzf is a little shorter, and it seems to roll through the turns a little better. As far as power wise they are about the same.

i like the 04/05 crf250's were my fave for hondas and but comparing the newer 06/07's id go blue personally

just remeber they are mx bikes and are built for competetion, not for longivity

i like the 04/05 crf250's were my fave for hondas and but comparing the newer 06/07's id go blue personally

just remeber they are mx bikes and are built for competetion, not for longivity

How come you would go blue for the 06 and 07's?

i havent had anyproblems with my 06 and i have had it since september. i race almost every weekend and keep up on regular maintenance. i do like the power of the yzf but i dont like the handeling. i love everything about my crf and wouldnt trade it for anything

i havent had anyproblems with my 06 and i have had it since september. i race almost every weekend and keep up on regular maintenance. i do like the power of the yzf but i dont like the handeling. i love everything about my crf and wouldnt trade it for anything

Not even for a million dollars??? :applause:

How come you would go blue for the 06 and 07's?

because i felt that honda built there best bike these years, esp. 05, dont get me wrong but all the crfs are great, i just feel that the newer yz's hold up much better, bit more reliable, and proven but id go either way

p.s. i dont like those dual exhausts either, single count for me

because i felt that honda built there best bike these years, esp. 05, dont get me wrong but all the crfs are great, i just feel that the newer yz's hold up much better, bit more reliable, and proven but id go either way

p.s. i dont like those dual exhausts either, single count for me

and its also alot cheaper to repair a yz than a crf

I love my crf, but the new yzf's look good. if you get a yzf, i would def recomend at least an 06 tho. i would look at the 07 crf and 07 yzf, they are both great bikes it will be a tuff decision.

I'm not totally sure on cheaper to repair a YZF, they have 5 valves a 2 cams, which is more to replace if something does go wrong... I think that yamaha prices are higher than honda. Check out oem.thumpertalk.com and see the discounted prices... Like here in canada a yamaha oil filter is around $20 and a honda one is less than $10

If you are going with the '06 YZF, then be certain it has had the valve recall performed by the dealer. There was an issue from the factory on the '06's that Yamaha owned up to (to their credit) and repaired free of charge. Also, the '06 YZF's have a front end handling quirk that causes the bike to push a bit in corners. This can be cured somewhat by dropping the forks 5mm in the clamps and lowering the radiators 1" with the Dubach Racing kit (50 bucks). This was cured on the '07's.

All in all, both are outstanding rides with the Yami being less maintenance, but the Honda being the better handler. Also, there is a difference in cockpit feel, so if it were me, I'd pick the one that felt better in the saddle and if the Yami, get the dealer to cut $50 so you can get the Dubach kit.

have u gone 2 a dealer yet and sat on each bike and talked 2 them about each???if u havent...try 2 go 2 a honda/yamaha dealer so then can tell u the pluse and minuses of each. and........try 2 ride each amd c which u like more