How to De-Carbon head?

Hey just took apart my motor to throw a new piston in. I was wondering what is an effective way to clean the head without dissassembly of the valves/springs. Anyone that knows how or has done before your posts will be appreciated!!

w/out taking apart the head you could use some cleaning solvent and a small wire brush, you cant really do to much to clean it, but you can get some of the carbon off, it is rock hard, just be careful about the valves, it shouldn't hurt to hit the bottoms of them.

To get the carbon off of my head, it just took alot of time and various cleaning tools to get a majority of it off.

w/out taking apart the head you could use some cleaning solvent and a small wire brush, you cant really do to much to clean it, but you can get some of the carbon off, it is rock hard, just be careful about the valves, it shouldn't hurt to hit the bottoms of them.

To get the carbon off of my head, it just took alot of time and various cleaning tools to get a majority of it off.

same:bonk: be carefull with the valves though

glass media blaster. The best way.

I've got one of those, but they have very fine particles that get everywhere, and are pretty abrasive and leave dinting on the surface sometimes. I would only use one if you were going to take apart the whole head and get the seats cut, clean the head, and put in new valves etc.

I've got one of those, but they have very fine particles that get everywhere, and are pretty abrasive and leave dinting on the surface sometimes. I would only use one if you were going to take apart the whole head and get the seats cut, clean the head, and put in new valves etc.

You sure you dont have a sand blaster. the sand is very abrasive. but the one I use is gentle it doesnt pit the surface.

I just did my 06 CRF250 a couple of months ago and used a green scotch brite pad and some parts cleaner. I just scrubbed it lightly with the parts cleaner and it looked like new when I was done.

After I was done cleaning the head, then I sprayed parts cleaner in the ports (top sides of the valves) and filled them up, then watched to see if any fluid leaked out past the valves into the head surface. Nothing leaked out so I assumed that meant the valves still had a good seal on them (48 hours on the bike). I just turned the head over after to let the fluid drain out the top when I was done with the leak check. I then went through that fill, drain repeat cycle two more times to get any junk out of that area.

Wiped it down with a clean cloth and let it dry and put it back together. Seemed to work ok for me.

• Like 1