Sign in to follow this  

June injury, still not 100%

In June I broke my ankle pretty bad. I am not sure what the name of the bones are, but the inside ankle bone on my left leg actually sheared off and moved upwards a little. A surgery and two screws later, the ankle was rebuilt and the bones healed like new. Now...time to recover. I got a walking boot, and after dropping the crutches I learned to put full weight on it within a few days. Walked around in the boot for 3 weeks or so (doing PT in the boot, no stretches just rebuilding muscle), and finally it came off and I went back to the crutches for a few days until I could walk on my own again. Now that the boot was off, we stepped up the exercise and began to actually stretch the ankle. This went on for a few weeks, then we began balancing exercises. For probably three weeks we did mostly balancing, with strength following, and stretching a far behind third. Anyways, the injury was about 8 months ago, and I am only partially healed. I am 20 years old, and in decent physical shape. Why do I still only have about 75% mobility? When I was a 13 I was casted from fingertip to shoulder for two months, and I was moving my arm 100% within a week. No PT needed. I can walk without a limp, but running is still uncomforatable. On my good foot, it seems like I can pull my toes back or forward as far as I possibly can with only mild discomfort. On my bad foot, moving it within its range of motion is fine, but past once you get past that its like hitting a WALL. It hurts like the dickens to try and pull my toes up as far as I can, and its VERY VERY painful to push my toes down past a certain point. Its not like it gets worse and worse as I try harder. Its more like easy...easy...easy...hit the end of my range of motion....go just past it...horrible pain...horrible pain...horrible pain!! If thats makes since. I know this is a long post, but I am sorta worried. I called the doctor, and he said to just work on stretching it. I have a little (not as much as I could) but it hasnt helped much. Any other ideas? Maybe this is as good as it will ever get?

interesting. years ago i came up short on a six pack at the old vegas track and broke my leg and shattered my ankle into 13 pieces. like yours it was reconstructed with pins and a few screws. my growth plate was also destroyed and i ended up losing 50-60% of the motion in my ankle FOR LIFE. all i can say is...physical therapy. keep at it. it hurts like hell but...it works in the long run. i had to do it for a year after my pins were removed. i can walk without a limp but sometimes it still freezes up on me from time to time and i cant run with out pain. its suck man, but its the price we pay to play. all i can say is, i know where your comming from and how frustrating it. but, it WILL heal. the ankle is just a very complicated joint and the worse you smash it up the longer it takes. just be patient man. and be proud of them scars.

My guess is that it could take a year or longer to fully recover from a break like that. The ankle as you know is where ALL your weight is bared (is that a word??) and with all the twisting, turning etc it does it's gonna take time. Like brother Jessthro said be patient.........

Alright, but how would I go about doing that?

One way is to take a digital picture of the xray, open a photobucket account, upload picture, and copy the "img" tag under the picture and paste it in a post on this thread.

I'm trying to be patient. Just sucks not being able to be as carefree as I used to be. Before the wreck I would bound around everywhere, twist my ankle here and there but not worry about it. But now every rock and root is a danger.

I have broke both my ankles. Well the one was the tib or fib (whatever one is on the outside down by your ankle) right at my ankle. The other was both tib/fib in to the ankle. I recover fairly well but like you said the smallest rock can bring me to the ground from rolling my ankle. I feel like i need to stregthen both my ankles some how. What are good excercises? Knees, ankles, hips are just rough because we demand so much from them. keep at it you'll come around. The main thing is to prevent any future damage any way possible.