Major engine work?

I've owned my '06 YZ450 for about 6 weeks and have about 20 hours on it of fairly hard track use. My suspension has made it clear that it needs to be serviced soon and it made me start wondering about other more major service. Since I live in Mexico now it would be best if I can plan it out and have the work done on one of my trips back to the States as opposed to waiting until something major happens and I'm forced to make an unexpected trip or be without a bike.

At approximately what hour intervals does major engine work come into play and what all does that entail? I hear bottom end and top end but what does that mean in terms of service? I hear guys talk about how expensive 4 strokes are to maintain but I have no idea what that means.....$500, $1000, $2,000 per year?

I ride mostly SX with some fast trail riding thrown in on occasions. I don't want to jump the guy on major maintenance but I don't want to push it either so I'd like to know what's the longest I can safely go? Or do I ride hard all year and then get a new bike when I come back each summer? A year old '06 goes for as much down here as what I can buy a new '07 for so one option is to bring a new bike down each year.

Oh, and I change the oil about every 7 hours and put in a new air filter every 1-4 rides depending upon whether or not I'm the only one on the track or if there is someone else kicking up dust.

Check your valves on a regular basis. After they have tightend and you have had to shim them a couple times, it will be time for new valves, springs, retainers, etc. When you do the valves it would be a good idea to put a new piston in. If you haven't even shimmed your valves yet, don't bother doing any major engine work.

While it doesn't hurt to check your valves occasionally, it is a Yamaha and if its only got 20 hours on it they will be fine. (You can always tell when a Honda rider is in here giving responses.) Provided you keep the oil changed and the filter cleaned, you should be able to get 100 hours or more before needing major work.

I'm not a honda guy. I did have a couple hondas in the mid 90s, but I've been yamaha ever since. I'm just saying, even though it is a yamaha, check your valves every 10-15 hours. They do wear out over time. The first couple times you check them you will not need to shim them, but incase you do need to, you have caught the problem early. Things do wear out and not every bike is exactly the same. Better safe than sorry.

You are right and thats why I said it never hurts to check them. However, I am now on my 5th Yz 426/450 and I have never yet had to adjust a valve. Two of the bikes went to approximately 100 hours before I sold them and my current bike, a 2006 YZ 450 has 47 hours on the hour meter and the valves are in spec.

KJ 790, after looking at your garage, I realize the Honda comment was a low blow, sorry, no one who owns 3 yamahas should be treated with such disrespect!:applause:

Haha, thanks man, I just added a new one to the house a little while ago, I got an '07 YZ250F, and I have my old YZ250F for sale. I'll get some pics of the new one when I get it all set up. Now I have 5 yamis sitting at my house.

What does it take to check/adjust valves and how hard is it to screw up? I'm sure the checking part isn't too tough but what do you need to do it?

Lets say that I'm getting close to 100 hours.....are there signs to look out for that will let me know that I should do some engine work so that I can plan a trip back to the States or will the engine just blow without warning? For sure I'll put on more then 100 hours per year.

When the bike starts getting hard to start, then it is time to break it open and adjusting valves....until then just ride the crap out of it.....I have checked every on of the yamahas I have owned after breakin (8 of them)....not any of them needed any adjustment. Occasionally a tighter exhaust valve I see but it is very rare. Even then starting becomes very difficult....These ain't Hondas, Suzukis or Kawis.....the Yamis have a bullet proof valvetrain from the factory:thumbsup:

That's great to here and is the main reason I went with Yamahas since I knew I'd be a long drive away from a qualified shop. The hard to start that something that will come on over a period of months, weeks, days? Hopefully I'm given enough notice that I can plan a trip back to the States accordingly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Zack Ailing
      hey guys just picked up a new project bike. Its a 2008 Yz450f with a big bore kit and a stroker crank. The total cc of the engine is now 499. It runs on race gas and will be an absolute monster when shes ready to rip. I will continue to make more videos on the bike so stay tuned Link to the video: 
    • By High On Octane
      2005 YZ450F, Athena Big Bore, Power Bomb, Q4.
      Ok.  Last fall after a decently hot day at the track, I noticed coolant leaking from the weep hole on my water pump after pulling into the pits.  Ordered an Athena re-seal kit, put it all back together and didn't really get a chance to ride it.  3 weeks ago, went out to the track, and after about 20 laps, it started leaking again.  Kept filling it with water to get thru the day, never ran anywhere close to dry or empty, jut a cup or 2 low.  Ordered a Hot Rods re-seal kit with bearing and also ordered a new w/p shaft.  Did it all again and got it back together, ran it, and as soon as it got to temp, it was leaking out of the weep hole again.
      So, what the heck am I missing?  I'm totally stumped on this one.  Is something wrong with my case cover?  Do I need to replace the w/p itself?  I'm feeling like I should've just ponied up for the Boysen in the first place, and now it's biting me in the butt.  Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
    • By Awheeler25u
      Alright guys, my 04 YZ450f runs fine minus some slight backfires when decelerating (need to adjust fuel screw). The other day when I was done checking my valve clearances I changed the oil and filter and put the bike back on the stand, kicked it a few times without the ignition coil in to get some oil flowing got off and noticed a little drip spot on the ground, it was no bigger than a dime so I thought nothing of it. Started the bike with no issues took it for a quick 10-15 min ride, came back to the garage to find out my whole case was soaked with oil and it started pooling in the low spots on the clutch basket side. I cleaned all the oil off and took it out again for 5 mins to try and see where it was coming from, here are my three possible places but nothing directly leads me to believe it’s any of the three either.
      1. Decompression plug area
      2.  Valve cover gasket leak (not really sure because the amount of oil leaking Looks to be a large amount
      3. Oil tank (bad weld or cracked weld somewhere
      what are you guys thinking?
    • By bofar
      Hey guys. I could really use your help diagnosing an issue that came up riding today. Bike is a 2013 YZ450F. Well maintained and haven't had any issues until now. Both the oil and coolant are new and levels are to spec. 
      After riding for about an hour in the sand dunes, I noticed a grinding going on on the right side of the bottom end (from what I could tell). When I looked to see what was going on my kickstarter was vibrating and grinding really loud. This was a different sound than if you engaged the kickstarter while running. It sounded less "clanky" and more "vibrating/grinding" if that makes sense. Grabbing the kickstarter and moving it didn't help the issue.
      When I noticed it, I shut the bike off and gave it a second. Being a few miles deep into the dunes, I had to get it out of there so I started it back up and it seemed fine- no grinding. I headed back to the car and after a few minutes, it came back so I shut it off again, started it back up and nothing. That process happened one or two more times before I made it back to the truck. Seemed to run fine otherwise. 
      Once I got it back to the truck I started it up and tried to pay more attention to what was going on but it wasn't doing it. I did seem to have more of a metal on metal noise coming from the motor. I started and stopped the bike a few times and after the motor stopped there was a distinct metal clank/grinding noise that happened right after the motor shut of for maybe half a second. This doesn't happen every time. 
      I tried doing some research and have seen things that make me think it could be the spring that connects to the kickstarter, or the kickstarter stopper plate- but really I have no idea.
      Seems strange that the issue is off and on.
      Thanks for the help!
    • By Goof331
      Does anyone know if there is any differences between the 2 radiators? Will the yz450fx radiator bolt on a yz450f? What I am wanting to do is wire up a fan to my 2016 yz450f. I know how I am going to do it I just don’t want to use a “universal” fan kit. What I would like to do is get a 450fx radiator and the direct bolt on Trail Tech fan for that radiator to have a good clean look.