Sign in to follow this  

yz100

so ive got this yz 100 that im fixing for a friend (he says its a 82, but im not sure) the problem with it is thatwhen you put it into gear it has an abnormal lack of power everywhere, but doesnt rev up any slower when in neutral. any ideas as to what the problem could be? i havnt torn into yet as i wanted some more opinions as to where to start, but the fuel is good, the air filter is clean, and i dont know about the carb, but my guess is its the reeds.

any ideas?

YZ100s don't exactly blind with their HP anyway. Without knowing anything else I'd say it's likely to be worn out piston rings.

thats another thing that was on the back of my mind, how do you check the reeds? if i know they're fine, i'll do a top end w/ rings.

The reeds don't affect absolute horsepower to a huge degree - they help with the bottom end and responsiveness. In a WFO throttle position the reeds are wide open as well- no affect.

Other than obvious physical damage or raggedy edges it may not be terribly obvious that the reeds are worn out.

If it were me, I'd just assume worn parts all the way around and do the top-end rebuild and pop some new reeds in.