Sign in to follow this  

New Terror Flex... Terrifying!

Hey there TT peeps,

The new Terror Flex I just got had this protective coating on it that was extremely slippery on the pavement for a lot more miles than expected. So far it's the scariest tire I've ever ridden on the street. It's manners on the pavement are not confidence inspiring at all. The tire now has at least 120 miles on it and it's manners are improving, but it's very sensitive to lines in the pavement. It feels very unsettled. Going around corners on the street it feels like the tire is walking sideways. The Dunlop 606 or the Pirelli MT21 are like supermoto tires compaired this tire on the street. It has improved a little with use, but the wandering feeling is gonna take some getting used to. It does work great in the dirt.

Anybody else have similar experience?

If you have one put on your bike you might want to ride it off road before you take it on the street. Dirt or sand will help remove the slippery coating.

Be careful!

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

What tire pressures are you running? Manufacture reccomends 6psi offroad and 8 on road. I run 6-8 off road and 10-12 on road.

Yes, it took a while to settle in on the road. Definitely over 100 miles. I did a heavy dual sport ride after I got a 100 miles on it that had a lot of dirt roads. The next day on the pavement it felt fine. So I was over 300 miles on it by then.

I found it not to be as confident feeling as MT21, but better than the pure offroad knobbies I had run on the road.

Yep, air pressure is key. Run 5 pounds and it sticks like glue on and off the road. It lasts forever!

I fell for the hype here on TT and bought one of these for my DRZ. I regret it every time I ride.

Same as you, I find the tire really squirrelly on the road, and I've got over 200 miles on it. It makes the bike wander and float rather than feel solid and planted, and I've tried everything from 0 to 20 psi.

Off road, it's just too much. I really notice the weight of it, and I don't think the traction is all that great either, certainly no better than the stock Dunlop 756 or a Michelin S12.

On top of that, it's wearing way faster than I thought it would, or should I say, was told that it would. That's OK though, the sooner it's gone the better.

Overall, two thumbs down. I'll probably get flamed for it by all the Teraflex fans, but that's my honest opinion.

Waxy

Waxy - (are you sure your talking about a Teraflex? as opposed to a Trelleborg or something)

What kind of terrain are you riding on?

The only kind of dirt the Teraflex 150 doesn't get good traction on is wet heavy clay (what tire does?)

These tires actually get better traction once they wear in a bit. They get the best traction at about 1/2 tread.

The Teraflex appears to wear fast for the 1st 1/8 tp 1/4" of tread. After that, it hardly wears at all. As Keithco said - pressure is key. 3-6# works good for most usage. If the tire is squirming on pavement, there is something else wrong. I've got well over 4,000 km on mine(2000 pavement incl. many freeway miles) with no end in sight.

With the proper air pressure, there is no way a Dunlop 756 or Mich. S12 will out traction a Teraflex 150 , especially in mud and soft/loose stuff. That's like saying your car gets better traction than a bulldozer.

What are you running for a front tire?

BJ

A thumb and a half down.. Mine lasted about 2k. At first it was almost unrideable on the pavement. I did as many and ran it almost flat the it worked somewhat better. Plus it is a real pita to change.. :applause:

Not worth the trouble for 2k.. In it's defense I am really hard on tires as I tend to back the bike in and then slide out of the corners (gravel of course).

Just my .02

You guys who are unhappy- are the problems with the Chinese version or the American -made version?

In new-england muck. the 'flex has its plus side!

It is def. NOT a feel-good tire, it gives poor feedback, and it wanders.

It does have the most traction of any DOT knob when its soft, gooey, and sandy.

Dave

Ditto that comment. When I rode all SC beach sand, bottomless marsh mud and black water swamp muck, that was my favorite tire. Was it a good street or hard pack tire? Hell no. It flat out sucked on asphalt compared to MT21's.

But it would power through tractionless goo better than any other DOT rear tire I have ever run. And it is the ONLY DOT rear tire I have ever run that would let me get on the gas turning in sugar sand without washing out or low siding.

Wear isn't and has never been any concern to me when running DOT knobbies. So I have no idea how long any of mine lasted. But I doubt that I have ever gotten more than 1500 miles out of a rear knobby. Rear knobbies worn down the middle really are terrifying when you turn on asphalt and end up with a contact patch of one knob. So I happily eat the cost of keeping newish tires on the bike to keep my hide off the pavement.

It's the American version.

These are exactly the type of responses I figured there would be.

"Are you sure you're smart enough to know what a TeraFlex is and that you actually have one?"

"Your bike must be set up poorly."

"There must be something wrong with you, because there's no way there's anything wrong with the TeraFlex."

If all you ride in is mud and bottomless muck, then maybe it's the best tire. I don't ride in that, and don't know anyone that does. My riding consists of everything from muskeg type muck (it does work well there), to rock, shale, sand, hard packed clay, gravel and pavement. As an "all around" tire, I just don't like the TF. Add in the weight, both rotating and non-rotating, and it's really not a great choice IMHO compared to other tires, unless you limit yourself to DOT knobbies, then it moves up the list.

I've run the Dunlop 756 and 742F fronts.

Waxy

It's the American version.

"Are you sure you're smart enough to know what a TeraFlex is and that you actually have one?"

"There must be something wrong with you, because there's no way there's anything wrong with the TeraFlex."

If all you ride in is mud and bottomless muck, then maybe it's the best tire. I don't ride in that, and don't know anyone that does. My riding consists of everything from muskeg type muck (it does work well there), to rock, shale, sand, hard packed clay, gravel and pavement. As an "all around" tire, I just don't like the TF. Add in the weight, both rotating and non-rotating, and it's really not a great choice IMHO compared to other tires, unless you limit yourself to DOT knobbies, then it moves up the list.

Waxy

Waxy, there are 2 versions of the DOT teraflex:

older, steel-belted and american made

newer, no steel, made in china.

Dave

Waxy, there are 2 versions of the DOT teraflex:

older, steel-belted and american made

newer, no steel, made in china.

Dave

I'm aware of that. Mine's the American made version, it's in the first line of my last post.

Waxy

I'm aware of that. Mine's the American made version, it's in the first line of my last post.

Waxy

Ah, just thought that was one of the things you were kvetching about.

/radner "Nevermind" radner/

Dave

Waxy- Try not to personalize some of this stuff. The reason I asked some of the questions I did, is because I've talked to a couple of people that were complaining about the Teraflex, when they actually were refering to Trelleborgs - No Kidding. So, I always ask that question - nothing personal.

BJ

• Like 1

new version = chinese version

I called Mickey Thompson, who now owns the CEPEK name. They sold the rights to it, and its being made in China.

I just put one on my Dual Sport CR500. . . we'll have to see. I ride mostly so cal deserts = rocks.

LONG LIVE the CR500!

I had one a few years back on my old Honda XR400, it is unstable even on dirt and I ride a lot of cliff side single track trails and it can be really scary. It feels like the rear is moving from side to side.

Hey there TT peeps,

The new Terror Flex I just got had this protective coating on it that was extremely slippery on the pavement for a lot more miles than expected. So far it's the scariest tire I've ever ridden on the street. It's manners on the pavement are not confidence inspiring at all. The tire now has at least 120 miles on it and it's manners are improving, but it's very sensitive to lines in the pavement. It feels very unsettled. Going around corners on the street it feels like the tire is walking sideways. The Dunlop 606 or the Pirelli MT21 are like supermoto tires compaired this tire on the street. It has improved a little with use, but the wandering feeling is gonna take some getting used to. It does work great in the dirt.

Anybody else have similar experience?

If you have one put on your bike you might want to ride it off road before you take it on the street. Dirt or sand will help remove the slippery coating.

Be careful!

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

I'm on my 2nd TFlex. I heard about the mold release being slick on the street, so I scrubbed mine with 409 when I installed it.

I never had any problem with it slipping on the pavement:excuseme: ( dirt either for that matter:busted: )