Sign in to follow this  

specs on 150r vs 85 wheels/hubs

I'm trying to find aftermarket rims for my son's 150r expert. no one seems to have them availbale yet or in stock anyway- a couple dealers want to sell me the ones they have for a 85 expert- they say the are the same wheel and hub alignment they THINK. Anyone know for sure if a 85 expert wheel will line up with a 150r hub/spoke setup?

The front hubs are a bit different, the spokes are the same length but CR150Rs have slightly larger nipple diameters.

The rear hubs are totally different on CRF150Rs, have shorter spokes than the CR85 yet the same diameter nipples (go figure) BUT the spoke angles into the rim are much more from the side, since the hub width where the spokes connect is much wider on the CRF150R.

I have sent emails off to RK-Excel and a few dealers, their take is to wait until they produce a rear rim with properly angled/drilled spoke holes. You might get away with a CR85 front rim, but may need to slightly enlarge the spoke holes.

So you say- no, can't do it! this is what i'm afraid of- two people /two different answers.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you say- no, can't do it! this is what i'm afraid of- two people /two different answers.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have built up, relaced, and trued MX, street motorcycle, BMX, and road bicycle wheels off and on for the past 35 years...

I didn't necessarily say "No, you can't do it," because, technically the front and rear rims still have the same number of spokes and the same cross patterns.

The front should be very close and should only require a little redrilling, if the CRF150R nipples don't fit the CR85 rim perfectly. For maximum wheel strength and stability over the life of the wheel, you must have a very snug fitting nipple hole with just enough clearance to turn the nipple freely.

The rear, on the other hand, Is where I would be concerned. I wouldn't trust the long term stability and strength of a rear wheel using a CR85 rim, because of the different spoke angles going into the rim.

Could you lace up a CR85 rear rim on a CRF150R hub?

Most likely "yes," but the spoke nipple heads will not sit at the best angle in the rim nipple dimples (say that one three times real fast) and over time (usually a very short time with hard use) the spoke nipples will deform the rim dimples, making it a constant battle to keep the spokes tight and the rim true. If the mis-alignment is too extreme, you have the real possibility that the nipples will pull through the rim dimples on a hard landing, ruining the rim and potentially causing a great deal of related damage and risk to the rider.

I started researching this topic back in December, and am still waiting for Excel to come up with a CRF150R specific set of rims to build a solid set of wheels for the long-run and reduce the potential for wheel failure.

If you have to have a different set of rims and can't wait for the specific CRF150R ones to be released, you might check out a complete wheel/hub/spoke combo that will allow you to reuse your 150R wheel bearings and axles.

You might contact this thread owner and see if he has made progress with his wheel conversion...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469194

Supposedly he had a dealer exploring putting a set of black Excels on his CR150R.

Just my 2 cents...

rim nipple dimples (say that one three times real fast)

I can't do it. :applause: :applause: :lol:

I called the Excel importer today and the big wheel spokes are due in at the end of the month. I put a set on order and will let you guys know how it works out.

Ryan

talon makes hubs (specifically for the 150R) in 36 front and 36 rear configs, to make it easier to find supermoto and more common MX applications. Stock 150R hubs are 28/32, making it much harder to find off the shelf product.

FWIW, 36 hole rims and hubs are "more" common.... :applause: