Sign in to follow this  

What is the correct assembly method for the suspension push rod

When I got my SM, I installed DRZ2 Kouba links, with the intention of doing the job right later. Well, that time has come and I forgot something.

When installing the Kouba links, you have to press out the bushings from the stock lins and reuse them in the Koubas.

My questions are:

1) I assume the bushing should be pressed back into the OEM link so the flange on the bushing is in the recess, correct?

2) I assume then the OEM link is re-installed, the flange and link recess belongs on the inside, opposite side of the nut or bolt, correct? I am fairly positive this will be a no brainer as when I remove the Koubas, but what the heck, I figured I'd ask.

By the by... I have Kouba links for sell, Model DRZ2's...........

Hi William...

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your questions as I'm just about to install some Kouba DRZ1's myself.

What I wanted to ask you is if you think it's worth the trouble? I've already got a lower-gel seat on and that's done wonders but I still wouldn't mind it a little lower - though I could probably live with it the way it is now.

I know if I put the Koubas on I'll have to raise the forks in the clamps by the same amount (.75" for the DRZ1's). I got the DRZ1's cause I figured they'd have the least negative affects on the suspension - I wouldn't mind it a little softer in the rear anyway.

So should I go ahead? :applause: The bikes on the stand now (05 E model) and I've got me spanner in hand...:applause:

I'd go ahead. I did after all. I am on a SM, so precise handling is very important. On the dirt, you have a little more leeway and DRZ1's will probably be just fine. It is a lot less expensive to put the links on than doing shock work.

Do me a favor. When you remove you old links, make a note which direction the recess on the link was facing. In towards the mounts or out towards the bolt. Do the same the the bushing you have to press out.

If not to help me but to remind yourself IF you decide to lower the bike in the future using a shorter shock instead (As I am doing).

Hey Dave, yes, that is half the answer.

The last bit is the bushing in it. It is a flanged bushing.

I assume the flange is on the opposite side of the bolt, which would mean it sits in the recess.

Verification?

Ok thanks - I will go ahead... and I'll take note like you said...actually come to think of it...I might as well take some pics...:applause:

I probably should have mentioned - I'm running talon SM wheels and gearing on my E ATM (got the dirt wheels too of course).....:applause:

Oops - looks like you've got it sorted but I'll take the pics anyway - I (or someone) will probably need them sometime...:lol:

Hey Dave, yes, that is half the answer.

The last bit is the bushing in it. It is a flanged bushing.

I assume the flange is on the opposite side of the bolt, which would mean it sits in the recess.

Verification?

Correct, and don't forget the thin washers that sit in the bearing recess's on the dog bone.

Neil. :applause: :applause: :lol:

corrrect

pm me your email i will send a pdf

a823_1.JPG

Dave, a picture is worth a thousand words. My questions are answered. Had I not gotten any reposnses, fortunately I was going to assmeble it as in the picture. Thansk again. :applause: