Sign in to follow this  

230 baja 1000????

ok ok i just want to know if a 230 can race in a baja 1000 race not to compete whith their big sisters crf450r xr650r is more like if she can finish the race????

I want to say, "Yes a CRF230 could do it." but you couldn't do it on a 230. The suspension would kill you. I mean, dude!!!! It's one thousand jacked up miles of bumps. You'd need to overhaul the suspension. The bike could do it, but you'd need better suspension.

I want to say, "Yes a CRF230 could do it." but you couldn't do it on a 230. The suspension would kill you. I mean, dude!!!! It's one thousand jacked up miles of bumps. You'd need to overhaul the suspension. The bike could do it, but you'd need better suspension.

exactly. a little more then a fox rear suspesnion and the cr85 fork conversion...

i was wondering if the bike can make

I'd do it Man!! I like a good challenge....especially when people say it's impossible.....

It COULD do it, doesn't mean it's a good idea. I mean, you could test your helmet by jumping off your roof too. 60mph top speed is going to get very old very quick in the desert, especially when most of your competition is going upwards of 90. Suspension would need a complete redo (CR250 forks and a Works shock perhaps), disk rear brake swap would be a good idea. The electrical would need help to run the kind of lighting needed. Basically, if you can afford to make it to and run Baja, you can afford to buy the proper tool for the job.

If a stock VW bug can do it piece of cake on any playbike.

Can your but do it?

It takes loads of support though.

:applause:

thats true if a stock VW and there lack of speed can doit a crf230 can but like was mention we need a lot of support

I raced the Baja 1000 7 times. I also won my class 4 years in a row, and also finished 4th overall in the 1985 event. The only vehicles that finished ahead of my team were 3 open class (up to 500cc) motorcycles. We passed everything else! This was while competing on a 250cc 3 wheeler.

The CRF230 would have no problem. The issue would be with the rider/s.

If memory serves me correctly, a near stock XR100 competed in and finished

4th in the 250 class in a Baja 500 race once. Not bad.

Good luck and ride safely.

Do it. It would be cool. Make sure you don't have to do anything the next week because you're gonna be sore.:applause: into:cry:

Here's the beginning of a mods list for you:

1. Works Proseries rear shock

2. CR 85 forks, Reger clamps, stiffer springs, modified shim stacks, subtanks

3. Rewound stator

4. Trail Tech 8" headlight

5. Custom seat using Guts Racing seat foam

6. Fastway foot pegs.

7. Would look into a oil cooler. Maybe one from the XR400 would work. Extra oil capacity & cooling.

Add more guys. That's a ll I got!

Do it on a stock piece that would rule ill do it with u

seriously

roads are not that bad for motor cycle at slow speeds

just have to be able to complete 1050 miles in 36 hours

average 35- 40 miles an hour your good and in the books !!!!!

Forgot tires:

Rear: Maxxis Desert IT...with an HD or Ultra tube too

Front: Bridgestone M201F 90/100/21

It'd be nice to have more fuel capacity too. No options there except to try & get a one off made. $$$

Here's the beginning of a mods list for you:

1. Works Proseries rear shock

2. CR 85 forks, Reger clamps, stiffer springs, modified shim stacks, subtanks

3. Rewound stator

4. Trail Tech 8" headlight

5. Custom seat using Guts Racing seat foam

6. Fastway foot pegs.

7. Would look into a oil cooler. Maybe one from the XR400 would work. Extra oil capacity & cooling.

Add more guys. That's a ll I got!

8) Must find additional fuel requirement somewhere. Stock tank has good range, but not good enough.

9) UFO rear fender with under tail LED light

10) Bark busters

11) WER steering dampner (they make one for 230) as I don't think scott or gpr make one for the 230

12) Tire balls and appropriate tires

13) Specific engine mods (go through it and make it tight with good cam profile and hd springs with near stock compression to run 85-87 octane fuel)

14) Seal, safety wire, and reseal and re-safety wire (even spoke junctions)

AND ???

For Baja I would put on full 250 forks. The extra strength & rigidity and larger valving would be worth it for me. The 85 forks are just not set up for 180 pound riders. Just a thought.