Want to race

I have been thinking about racing, but i feel i may be too heavy and out of shape. Currently im 5'8 and tip the scales at 230lbs. Are there any other 220+ guys who race and are fairly competetive?:applause:

A great way of getting into shape and losing those pound is to start racing. Go out there start off easy and have FUN!!!!!!!!!

JUST DO IT!?? :cry: :applause:

I am 6' and 220 and ride 30+ B class...I am not the quickest guy on the track, but I can hold my own...Top 5 most of the time...I have been working on cardio over the winter and doing some strength training, which I hope will be beneficial this upcoming season...I would recommend (not just to you, but anyone) that they at least do SOME form of cardio before starting a race season...Especially those of us that are "Thick"....

Very few funner ways to loose weight/get exercise than to MX.

4 years ago I was at the heaviest I have ever been in my life, 278lbs. I am a tick over 6 foot. I started riding/racing mx again after a 12 year layoff. Wasn't long, I was down to 248lbs. within the first year. I raced at 235 last season. I fluctuate wildly in the course of a year. I am at about 250 now. Can't wait for the riding season to begin.

I do a good bit of cardio in the gym during the winter but I can't help but feel like a hamster running on a wheel in it's cage in those places.

Get your bike's suspension set up for your weight. Race Tech has a spring rate calculating sheet on their site. www.racetech.com .

Once I got that done I began winning championships again like I did in my youth, when I was about 50 lbs lighter.

I have been thinking about racing, but i feel i may be too heavy and out of shape. Currently im 5'8 and tip the scales at 230lbs. Are there any other 220+ guys who race and are fairly competetive?:applause:

I have a little tip that might help you. Before your first race, try and ride the track you'll be racing at you'll be more comfortable and confident on race day. Also a good rule of thumb for starting out is to do 20 min motos to prepare yourself for racing.

I was over 230lbs when I started racing (october of this year) and it was fun. I'm a big guy at 6'4", and that helps me use the 450's power (and keep the tire from spinning as much). I finished 4th place overall (3-4) in the 250D class of my first race, and have been hooked since. However I am starting to ride a bicycle about 20 miles a day and eating MUCH better than before, so the weight is comming off.