Sign in to follow this  

the truth of shoot outs

Hey all,i was just concerned about the 2007 sxf 450 doing so poorly in all the shoot outs in the magazines,how much truth is there in the mags?I would like ANY feed back on the 2007 450 compairisons(all the 450's) from REAL people.Also thoughts on the few issues ive heard about the ktm sxf 450 eg. -overheating,strarting,suspension & handling.Of coarse any other comments are more than welcome.

It is always dissapointing to see that the bike that I picked to buy does not do well in the eyes of the magazine editors. But in reality who cares what anybody thinks but me.

For me my 450SXF is great. I changed the rear spring for my weight and the suspension performs great when compared to my '03 450SX. How is it compared to a CRF450?.. no clue and I don't care. I bought the KTM for the aggressive look, e-start, quality components, and so that I could have something a little different than the rest. It was MY choice.

As for problems, I haven't had any. My dealer changed the jetting and my bike starts within a second hot or cold.

I love my KTM and that is all that matters :applause:

It's all about the $$$ with magazines and shoot outs, KTM doesn't have to worry about those, they've got everyone in Europe :applause:

Read the Dirt Rider shootout. They had alot of good things to say about the KTM. Several riders loved it. With a high score of 94.5 and a low of 91.8,a 1.25

separates the first four bikes. Kawasaki first, KTM second, Honda Third, Yamaha fourth and Suzuki fifth. Two Honda loyalists ranked the KTM first. "They applauded the power, superb steering accuacy and that awesome electric

start." Don't be afraid of the KTM. I owned Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda. I am looking forward to the arrival of my 07 sxf505 within the next few weeks. I rode a friend's 450 and loved it. I am a 40+ A rider weighing 180lbs and the suspension felt great. I never felt more security with the front end of a bike in the turns.:applause:

I have three rides on mine now and I love it. Last three bikes: 03 crf450, 04 crf 450 and 05 kxf250f. The ktm handles and powers well above those year hondas. As for the 250F, the suspension is superior, but hard to compare the little 250 (which I still like). Guess I better try a ktm 250f also! Buy the ktm 450sxf it is awesome and you will love the button! All you need to buy is frame guards, the stick-on ones they supply only lasted the three rides!

dont you guys know about this!?!??!?!?!???? why do you think honda almost ALWAYS gets number 1 in all of the competitions. They are the biggest company and have the most $$$$ and so they pay the mags the most to put their bikes as number 1. KTM does not support this and they do not pay alot (i don't even any) money. KTM bikes and products are the best, and they dont need a magazine article to prove that!

Not sure I suscribe to all the conspiricy theories.

If you read Dirt Rider consistently I get the impression that several of them really like KTM's.

Your right Honda does have the most money, so it seems reasonable to expect they could / would do the most R&D and have the best suspension.

But is that item enough to make me go red, no!

I don't remember what month, or article or test is was in but there was a comment made that was a real slam against the big 4. I don't remember it verbatim, but it went like this - "a lot of people choose KTM because they can race for a lot less money in the long run". i.e. no top end jobs twice a year and generally less failures.

I have to disagree with you guys. Look at the tests in MXA and Dirt Rider more close. They both reckon that with a simple pipe change and a set of heavier springs the bike will be right in the ball park for power they like and suspension that everyone will get on with. I agree that the suspension is softly sprung(.48 6.9 springs will be fitted to mine on Monday) and the engine has no hit which I like.

Look at dirt riders 3rd gear roll on acceleration tests and the average lap times. Tells a different story.

The bike is more capable than any other bike if its set up right, but again the same can be said for each and every bike in the test.

I personally have tried all the 07 450s except for a Yamaha and can see/feel where they are coming from. Still think I made the right choice. The KTM HAS THE BEST ENGINE for any level. Not many 450's can claim so much controlability in the bottom range and be such a monster up top. Perfect in my eyes.

Have to agree with Kdub. I always look at and read between the lines on these test. Overall the bike is right in the ball park. All anyone has to do is setup the suspension to fit them. Do this and the bike is more than competitive with the Jap 450f's.

One of our riding friends is a Pro level rider. He just got a 450SXF this past week and was racing it Friday at a small, tight indoor race.

He is very pleased with the power delivery and handling for the 450SXF. He doesn't see a need for a different pipe at this time. Is only complaint was that the suspension is way to soft for anyone over 170lbs.

i second ya thoughts, i have own many jap bike before

and the 450SX i own, did not let me down.

maintenance wise, it is a breeze.

Hey all,i was just concerned about the 2007 sxf 450 doing so poorly in all the shoot outs in the magazines,how much truth is there in the mags?I would like ANY feed back on the 2007 450 compairisons(all the 450's) from REAL people.Also thoughts on the few issues ive heard about the ktm sxf 450 eg. -overheating,strarting,suspension & handling.Of coarse any other comments are more than welcome.

Yes it faired poorly in the shootouts.... but put it this way... IT SURE BEATS THE HELL OUT OF TRYING TO START YOUR HONYAMASUKI BY KICKING IT WHILE THE ORANGE GUY JUST PRESSES A BUTTON:ride: :applause: :applause:

It's all about the $$$ with magazines and shoot outs, KTM doesn't have to worry about those, they've got everyone in Europe :applause:

not only in europe take a look at the canadien enduro or even the moto x ktm is highly respectedin canada:thumbsup: . ect marco dube.example

You need to realize that well set up suspension is 90% of the battle and it is something that can be easily changed, but not in a stock bike shootout.

The MXA guys seem to really be on the fast side so they always lean towards more aggresive bikes.

for what it is worth i have been riding a crf 450 as my track bike for years and in dec got a 07 450 sxf and i am about a sec or so faster on the ktm tham i ever was on the honda only thing i have ran in to is that the forks are way wat to sofr for me and iam having a hard time finding springs