Sign in to follow this  

Childress and Johnny Airtime @ dirtnewz

JA, thanks for letting us into this rumor buddy...

http://www.dirtnewz.com/dr-pressreleases/02-2007/childressa-2-14-07.shtml

Mike Childress Set to ATTACK SCORE San Felipe 250 with Baja's Triple Threat

Orange, California — (February 14, 2007) On the heels of the announcement of the newest Honda privateer motorcycle racing team in the desert, DIRTnewz spoke with Baja Champion, Mike Childress, about the upcoming SCORE San Felipe 250 and the rest of the Baja race season which includes the SCORE Baja 500 and the SCORE Baja 1000.

Well regarded as a wild-eyed perennial motorcycle champion, Mike Childress has announced that he will race the challenging SCORE San Felipe 250 with soon-to-be announced "friends" and they are ancy to race against American Honda's 1X team of Robby Bell/Kendall Norman.

Word has it that Childress' yet-to-be-mentioned partner(s) is not the rumored Johnny Jensen, aka "Johnny Airtime," who plys the ever-so popular Thumper Talk bulletin board and places himself in the same category as Baja Champions, Steve Hengeveld, Robby Bell, Johnny Campbell, Andy Grider and Mike Childress.

Rumors have been flying wild for the last few days as Honda of North Hollywood and Bill Robertson announced that they would join forces with Mike Childress for the remainder of the 2007 desert racing season.

DIRTnewz caught up with Childress while he was busy working at XR's Only in Hesperia and he told us, "Man, I am very excited about this opportunity. This is the beginning of another chapter in my racing career and our team is looking forward to the challenge at beating them with privateer status. I have the utmost respect for American Honda and they are good, but we plan on tackling the Baja races in 2007 with privateer support from the Checkers, as well as additional support from Cameron Steele's Desert Assassins and Pflueger Racing/Hoffman Motorsports. Precision Concept's Bob Bell will continue to dial in my bike suspension as he's been a supporter since the beginning. I can't wait and its going to be good."

It was only a few weeks ago when Mike Childress announced here on DIRTnewz that he had left the Honda Factory Team, where he was teamed up with Steve Hengeveld. Recently, Hengeveld suffered a broken arm during an AMA race and it is doubtful that the multi-time Baja Champion will be ready for the upcoming SCORE San Felipe 250 race in only 24 days. However, we are talking about one of the nation's premiere off road athletes and he's been know to overcome the most difficult challenges life has to offer. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, XR's Only was filled with one big smiling desert moto-king as he beamed ear-to-ear about the latest opportunity.

"XR's Only and myself are building the race bike here at the shop and I couldn't be any happier," grinned a smiling Mike Childress.

"You all are going to have to wait a week or so before the announcement of the other team members, but we are coming and coming hard," said the Baja 1000 Champion.

It is rumored that the other team members poised to join Childress in his quest for a championship privateer winning team will complete what DIRTnewz is calling, "Baja's Triple Threat Champs."

Mike said as we left, "Tell em' to stay tuned to DIRTnewz cuz you'll have it first."

Visit http://www.mikeychildress.com

ahhhh man... self promoted and arrogant.... are we back to "Johnny-Thinks-Hes-Fast-Time" ??? I was beginning to get worried over the last "Johnny-Metro-Time". :lol:

I don't know who wrote it, nor where it came from.... but if anyone wants autographs... I'll be at Bar Miramar Friday night on the 9th. :applause:

... thanks for the call this am Rudy, I never knew I was famous. :cry:

oh my... still :applause:

Well JAT at least you're getting press for NOT being on Childress's team. Somebody out there must luv ya... :applause:

Ron

Well JAT at least you're getting press for NOT being on Childress's team. Somebody out there must luv ya... :applause:

Ron

Oh you have no idea Ron... Ever see "single white female" :cry::lol:

I won't air their (his) laundry on TT, but it'll make great bar talk. Over the next Margees for sure. ...btw, we'll have to plan something in late March or April... I'm jones'n for some Mex riding.

If your curious... ask'em. He goes by "desertbull" and "Toro" on other race or baja related sites. I'm sure he'd love to give ya the details.

:applause:

HAHAHAHA! DIRTnewz.com "no boundries" is right.......and just when I thought I'd heard it all.......

... and you missed this last year?! ... I'm still :applause:

http://www.dirtnewz.com/events-06/baja500/race.shtml

6:00 AM FOX Racing Shox Update

Roaring off the start line first here at the 38th Annual TECATE SCORE Baja 500 was Johnny Airtime, also known as Johnny Jensen. Racing in his first-ever Baja race, Johnny Airtime, left the start line after being greeted by Sal Fish. Airtime is an avid Internet junkie and came onto the off road racing scene via the Internet only two years ago after asking a slew of Baja veterans about racing on the peninsula. Airtime then produced a film about his Baja off road adventures earlier this year decided to race the famed Baja 500. Airtime regularly publishes that he has fine tuned his skills riding out of Mike Sky Ranch, Rancho Santa Veronica and Glamis where he is a regular on the sand mountain.

Here today his skills will be tested not only against the nation's top motorcycle teams including factory support Honda Red Riders, but a handful of the nation's top wild men all searching for victory.

Insiders close to DirtNewz predicted the big dogs would reel in Jensen by race mile 4. The question of the day will be, "Can Johnny Airtime" live up to the billing that he has created for himself?

... They never updated, but I wasn't passed until mile 14 (by 6X) in the hellaishish dust and morning dew then later at RM71 (by 1X) or so... to hold 3rd until RM141 when I got off the bike. :applause:

So do I get a trophy?! :lol::cry:

(... I'm just stirring the pot.) :cry:

Oh, yeah. I know about that, JJ. This is why I don't read dirtnewz. If the story does not line up with the predetermined agenda it doesn't get published. The real story in all of this is that you HAULED ASS with the "big dogs" until the M141 rider change. Now that is a story that should be told.....and NOT BY YOU EITHER. You have every right to be hacked off about it. Racing is racing and people should give credit where credit is due.

Enjoy SF JAT while the rest of us are in Ensenada:ride: . I imagine there will be some pissed off shop, resturant and Bar owners, but all should be fine for bikers. They are probably upset with the climate that got the race transferred. Steny

Enjoy SF JAT while the rest of us are in Ensenada:ride: . I imagine there will be some pissed off shop, resturant and Bar owners, but all should be fine for bikers. They are probably upset with the climate that got the race transferred. Steny

Looks like decent weather the rest of this week.... hopefully for you racers, race fans and Ensenada trekkers it'll hold.

So thanks Steny, I will be feet up, lounged back, and sippin' the cocktails most the weekend. Saturday we'll hit VDT or some cool race area (Goat trail, Jamaua crossing). Maybe check 2 as that's an easy spot. We'll see.

Should be nice weather in SF! :applause: