Sign in to follow this  

Oil Screens on 2005

I am looking at the manual provided online since I did not get one with my bike. Anyway, it says to go to 11-3 for the oil screen maintenace...that only says check to see if clean and if clogged clean them and refer to 10-4. Well 10-4 shows nothing as to where these are. Only shows Trans maintenance. I bought the bike used with 4 hours on it and I have now put 3 hours on it and want to do the first oil change before riding tomorrow.

Any help on the location of these screens and exact maintenance for these is appreciated. First 4 stroke so I want to do what I can to make it last.

Thanks,

Todd

You have to split the cases to service/clean the '05~'06 screens.

You have to split the cases to service/clean the '05~'06 screens.

So then we don't need to worry about them for regular maintenance? I was told they needed to be cleaned on a regular basis when the oil was done??? Seems odd we have to split the cases each time we change the oil to get to these screens.

Don't quote me as saying they never need cleaning. I own a '07 model and you can remove strainer #1 for cleaning on the '07 without splitting the cases. Others here should be able to answer your question as to whether or not they really need cleaning.

Anyone else that can chime in on this subject would be appreciated. Did the first oil change, but did not see any screens on the drain plug as the local Suzuki dealer said I would??? He told me the 2 bolts next to the shifter would have the screen. He was not sure which one, but 1 would. Not on my bike. Did they remove them possibly? Are they in a different spot?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

I just bought my 05 from someone i knew kept his bike beyond clean and he cracked the case about a month before he sold it and he said the screen was spotless. He changed is oil religously!

he did tell me of a little trick to cleaning the screen with out cracking the case. Inside the where the oil filter goes there is a hold. take a peice of tubing place it in the hole and shoot a small shot of air into it, THis blows the sceen clean, then drain your oil. He said he got this trick from a Suzuki race mechanic and he had done it since the bike was new and it worked well for him. he only cracked his case once in two year of owning it and it was clean!

needless to say I am doing it too

I just bought my 05 from someone i knew kept his bike beyond clean and he cracked the case about a month before he sold it and he said the screen was spotless. He changed is oil religously!

he did tell me of a little trick to cleaning the screen with out cracking the case. Inside the where the oil filter goes there is a hold. take a peice of tubing place it in the hole and shoot a small shot of air into it, THis blows the sceen clean, then drain your oil. He said he got this trick from a Suzuki race mechanic and he had done it since the bike was new and it worked well for him. he only cracked his case once in two year of owning it and it was clean!

needless to say I am doing it too

Are you using a small amount of air or large? I would imagine anything 10lbs or less would work.

Thanks for the tip.

small shots 2 or 3

but do it before you drain so the residue goes out with the old oil.

I dont have a powerful air compressor so it doesnt really hit it with too much. Yeah about 10 is right.

small shots 2 or 3

but do it before you drain so the residue goes out with the old oil.

I dont have a powerful air compressor so it doesnt really hit it with too much. Yeah about 10 is right.

I figured it was before draining the oil. So you remove the oil filter (i have a stainless one) and blow that orifice there with a couple 2-3 shots and then drain.

Sounds easy enough.

there is the hole in the back and that is where you put the tube in and blow it. It is the inlet for the oil into the filter.

Right....where the oil flows from that hole and into the oil filter and then out of the filter back to the motor. The oil filtr blocks this hole when it is in place.