Sign in to follow this  

Project Bike Ebay Update

Thus far what seemed like a good idea was a bad idea. Man oh man parts on ebay are just crap for the most part. Dented, dinged, bolt holes reamed out, bearing races damaged stuff just plain worn out.:lol:

Here is a list of double purchases I made. You regularly see parts fitting 99-02. Yeah that is not true. Some 01 bikes actually shipped with 99 seats and 99subframes. You can measure an 02 and a 99 subframe and seat. They are different diminsions. I am not crazy. 1/4 inch longer to be exact.

Anyhow, due to rampant bad information and parts that once I got I did not like the condition and some parts actually being worthless/damaged, I had to buy several parts several times. Some parts like the radiators I was just picky with.

2 left radiators

2 right radiators

2 seats

2 subframes

2 sets of forks

2 linkages

2 Swing Arms

2 Subframes

2 Gas Tanks

What does all this mean to you. when buying parts from Ebay be advised many if not most parts are crap. I did get some real gems though so it is a crap shoot. Many items < $50 ar enot worth returning as you have to pay shipping again and between shipping both ways you net nothing.

Some parts like my 01 seat and 02 gas tank I got for $10 with $10 shipping. Not a real loss and I can resell the 99 subframe and gas tank. I threw out the 01 seat.

One vendor seold me forks that had a dent in the tube. It actually caused the fork not to travel all the way. The suspension shop discovered it. They were very cool. I bought another set of forks and they paid for the replacment sey. OEM Cycle is thier name. Very refreshing. Brockton Cycle sold me absolute crap. Twice.

Overall I shoudl have just bought an 01 KX125 sold the motor and bought a KDX motor on ebay and started from there. Seemed like fun doing it from scratch but honeslty, it is a hastle. Too many shady people.

The again this way I get a KX125 frame with KX250 suspension and 18" rear wheel so I guess if you really want what yopu want there is no easy way. Lots of neat things like an 01 with 02 ergonimics and 02 linkage which had improved ratio on an 01 swing arm with the plush 99 250 suspension and Talon hubs.

Still be done below $4K though and it will be a new bike through and through. I hope it is all worth it in the end. :applause:

Lots and lots of pics and detailed instructions coming for others to duplicate if they want. Including templates for engine mounts.:applause:

-E

E,

Thanks for the heads-up on the eBay stuff. I'm with you. You think that when the seller says "good working condition" that they'd be telling the truth or at least would have inspected the parts more thorughly.

Forks would be the one item that I would be most leary about. Like you mentioned, the dings, dents, scratches, etc. can be easily missed by the seller and they are so crucial in fork operation. I had a tiny nick on the stantion tube on one of the forks of a KLX300 I bought. Well, my suspension guy told me that he could buff it out but that it still might not make a tight seal.....and that I may get some weeping of the fork oil. I could barely see that nick, too, but had he not buffed it out, it would have torn my new seals and surely leaked. I got lucky on that one.

I try to buy new on ebay if possible. For example, like the tank you scored nicely on, I found a top Applied triple clamp for $25 plus $10 shipping. I think it retailed for $125.

Hopefully, you've gotten all the bad sellers out of the way and all the rest will be smooth sailing. Good luck!

Karl

I am now selling a good 99 subframe an 01 tank the right 99 front fork and I resold the radiators already. Cheap. I am just swimming in dupicate parts. I rally did not want to sell th espare fork but I need to recover some money from buying stuff twice.

If you ever got forks off of ebay have them torn down, inspected, cleaned and rebuilt. It cost me $330 to completly rebuild the forks and rear shock. Every seal, ring and bushing.

But I now have new suspension and total pieece of mind.

Oh I had my bottom end inspected. The rod had 70 thousands play. That is near the top of the servicable limit. You got it I bought a bottom end that was trashed. *&^^%%$#@

I'll rebuild and paint it. I kid you now when done everything on the bike will be new. Every bearing, seal, ring, race and bushing top to bottom inside and out.

The KDX in the KX... It had better be worth it is all I have to say.

I just finished putting USD forks on my 2001 KDX 220. I got the parts on ebay and I have to say I agree with you. I totally lucked out on the forks themselves, as I got a pair from a KX500 that were like new - but the seller had great pictures and many of them. The wheel was another story, as I had to get two to make one, and even then I ended up using the original KDX rim and rotor (drill and tap required) with a KX hub. I got an axle that was very obviously bent - most stuff the sellers did not even bother to clean. I also now have an extra set of USD forks that were not what they advertised as - they were smaller from an earlier year. It is a crap shoot for sure.

I agree with you on buying the whole bike idea...

I have gotten many things off e-bay,most good but some bad. I have learned to study the pictures and ask questions if needed. Many parts are not the year they say they are so you have to know what you are looking for. Ed

Here is a tip, if the parts are dirty skip it. If they take the time to clean them they there is a higher likleyhood the part is good.

I have had vendors send me extra pictures. Like the forks. I got high res pics. Still never saw the dent.

I hope you left them negative feedback when you didn't get parts as advertized. That's one way to make them more responsible.

No I di dnot. Some parts I did not realize were bad for weeks or months. In other cases what they advertised was what I got bt in person it was not as good as I would have hoped. They did not lie so to speak, well one vendor did. Twice. I di dnnot notie th linkage was crap until I took it apart month later when I got other pars and rplacment bearings etc.

The vendor said to send it back for a full refund. Paying $10 shipping each way for a $20 part makes little sense.

ebeck so did you rebuild your bottom end? im still working on mine i got my crank and felt the play on the new crank compared with the old crank the new crank doesn't feel better by much at all. i think the dealer was just makin money off me.....whatever like you said peace of mind :applause:

I took it to a shop. They can measure side play. 40 thousandths is normal I had 70 thousandths. That is right at the top of the servicable limit. I will rebuilt it.

I am not having a dealer do it. There is a specialty machine shop who deals with motorcycles only. Halls Precision. I am having them do it. I do not belive for a second the dealer will check tolerance of anything. They will just get new parts and slap it together.

Yep new everything. With my luck the tranny will be shot. Ther is a reason people part bikes I guess.

Well full motor rebuild is what $800. Then all new bearings, bars clamps and upgrades like tripple clamps new tires graphics and what not add up. Heck full suspension rebuild costs $350 done properly and I would say every 2000 bike nedds one.

Mind you I can build one from trashed dirty parts for about $1200. That is not my style.:applause:

It is not uncommon to buy a bike and have it worn out. Spending 1K before a first ride for a used 2000 KX is not unusual. Just becasue someone buys a bike for 3K and rides it for a year does not mean it is in good shape. Just becasue someone does not look for problems does not mean there are no problems.

It all depends on what level of condition you are willing to accept really and what you really want. I want a KX with a KDX motor. I want it in new condition. There eare no short cuts for those 2 conditions.:applause: