Where is the best desert riding that's close to the bay area?

I grew up in San Diego and love the desert (though I didn't start dirt biking 'till my mid 20s).I have lived in the redwoods, moss, and ferns now for 13 years and love the tight forest riding, but am really craving some drier, rockier, sandier, (open and technical) desert riding. I have some new riding buddies too that want to check out the dez for the first time. All the desert spots I know are 8 to 12 hours away.

You guys have any suggestions?

I dont where moonrocks is but looks cool,

I have been with some friends to Sand Moutian, the sand part is not big but desert for miles in every direction. It is just past Fernly.

The other place I have been is just out side of Reno. I dont know if it had a name. We Took the 80 to Reno, passed the strip and the Nugget. Then turn left and 10 minutes later desert for miles.

Oh yeah, you were living in Marin? Broke your foot up at Penny Pines?

Yeah, I'm in Marin. Broke leg at Foresthill. How ya been? Aren't you in Petaluma or somewhere in Sonoma County. I've been riding about every weekend...if you want to head out sometime.

The real Moonrocks

ACF896C.jpg

THAT looks real fun! AKA Last Man Standing. I've never been on that trail. I can only imagine going UP that hill. :applause:

Lastchild, looks like you've been elected leader of at least ONE ride! Try to make that howling at the moon event.

Yeah, I'm in Marin. Broke leg at Foresthill. How ya been? Aren't you in Petaluma or somewhere in Sonoma County. I've been riding about every weekend...if you want to head out sometime.

You see there is this issue with Bennyboy (cough ... short pigmy)

He rides a Chinese bike and is a hair over the size of a midget. He be too embarrassed to ride with normal folk. :applause:

He is a determined pigmy, what, with that damn stool he has to lug around everywhere.

Once he asked his fellow riders for a boost (did I mention he is short?) but got straight bucked right over the bike and fell on his tiny tooshie. The impact hurt more than his pride and he has been very solitary ever since.

We love our pigmy. We love our Bennyboy

:applause:

Oh yeah,

Count me in for some of that. So when is this moonrocks trip anyway? I can't really tell from the thread.

Yea.... that looks about as fun as having a root canal or eating burnt toast!!:applause:

BTW..... Moonrocks ride is May 5 (I'll be sticking to the easier stuff)

You see there is this issue with Bennyboy (cough ... short pigmy)

He rides a Chinese bike and is a hair over the size of a midget. He be too embarrassed to ride with normal folk. :applause:

He is a determined pigmy, what, with that damn stool he has to lug around everywhere.

Once he asked his fellow riders for a boost (did I mention he is short?) but got straight bucked right over the bike and fell on his tiny tooshie. The impact hurt more than his pride and he has been very solitary ever since.

We love our pigmy. We love our Bennyboy

:applause:

So, what your saying then, is that NorCalRider is, like, short. I might be willing to ride with him anyway.

So, what your saying then, is that NorCalRider is, like, short. I might be willing to ride with him anyway.

I guess what I am saying is he rides with no one. Kinda a loan wolf. Unless of course you were from the "select few" from that particular litter of pigmys :applause: