Utah: Street legal ATVs?

That is all we need is more ATVs crusing around messing up riding for us. They have molested the single track and who knows what will happen when they get on the roads. No doubt it will end up screwing things up for the motorcycles.

BTW: Did anyone notice that the Utah inspection manual for motorcycles was updated for 2007 and that it now requires turn signals. It used to say that turn signals were not needed unless factory equiped. This language is now gone.

knowing utah state safety and emissions laws they will most likely reqire a quiet exhaust and obeyance of street laws and drivers licence. it is allowed in some smaller towns down south in utah, they require you to obey street laws. i'm still in the middle on it tho.. it does have its pros and cons!

i'm still in the middle on it tho.. it does have its pros and cons!

Other than rural areas (where they can get away with riding on the road anyway), what "pros" are there? I see no benefit at all. I'm sure this is taking it to the extreme, but all I can picture is my stupid neighbor trying to ride his Banshee down I-15 "because it's legal".

bmac

As proposal states currently:

The ATV's will need a headlight (that can be 'on' for 15 minutes w/o the engine running, i.e. a battery). A horn, turn signals, DOT approved tires, rear view mirrors, and a liscence plate (which means more $$$ for the state), safety inpection and emmisions (if your area has them for cars/trucks). The driver will need a driver's liscence. The 'road' ATV's will only be allowed to operate on roads w/ a speed limit under 55 mph or 45 mph, still to be determined (that means NO Banshees on I-15).