Sign in to follow this  

Header pipe removal???

What is the best way to remove a header pipe off an 04 yz250F? I still have the stock header and have never removed it. Using my allen wrench for the top bolt, I snapped it in half and have yet to try the 10mm nut on the bottom. Heck, I can't even access it easily. Do I need to drain the radiator fluid and remove the hose for easier access?

I am thinking that I need to warm the bike up, thus warming the bolt and allen screw but that lends oneself to a good burn if not careful.

Thanks for the assistance.

mx813

(I also posted in Yam/yz/wr250f column but no takers yet)

Just don't try an easy out on what's left of the bolt. It'll break too and can't be drilled out. Lotsa penetrant, maybe some hot/cold cycles with a torch to help loosen it but you'll probably have to drill it out and install an insert. Make sure you drill down the center of bolt not the apparent center based on what you see of the threads.

Yeah, they're tricky buggers! You should be able to move the hose over enough without taking it off, just give it a little force. But, to get that allen bolt out. Go to your favorite hardware store, pick up a metric allen set (or just the one) for your ratchet and an extension if you don't have one and it should work!

I was thinking the same, picking up a metric allen for my socket and give that a go. The allen wrench I broke was easy to get out, just used a magnet and came right out.

I will give a little elbow grease to the radiator hose to see if I can get a straight shot at it, otherwise it's coming off. Going to heat the engine up a little (gonna be loud) since the exhaust can is off...but for a few minutes shouldn't be too bad.