Sign in to follow this  

What Tire Setup are ya'll running??? :crazy:

Okay now, all of you Arizona, Utah, and California bikers........what tire setup is being run on your DRZ, what kind of tire life are you getting, AND what will you buy THE NEXT TIME????? :applause:

I'm mostly in the dirt, with short jaunts to get there and to interconnect my dirt escapades! I think that I want at least the DOT stamp on the front as long as it doesn't compromise the ride in local conditions.

I'm in Phoenix, so the conditions are rocks, hard dirt, single track & real dirt & pines from riding in the low desert, the high desert and the high country. Not much mud out here as water is a bit scarce :cry:....but we know that!!! :applause:

Best I can tell is something like this for my DRZ-S (on-road riding is very limited & therefore on-road performance is not a factor):

FRONT:

606 or 739 or ....????

REAR:

606 or 739 or Terra Flex...... ????

is everyone out here running SLIME in their Heavy Duty Tubes??

......thank you kindly,

Happy Riding !!

:lol::cry: .

I like the MT21 up front and a 606 on the rear. Both with slime and rim locks added,factory tubes for now. The 606 is good for 500 miles or so

are you serious! :applause: 500 miles only off of the 606? I thought guys were getting 2500-3000??? Is anyone running a teraflex now? What is the mileage off of your teraflex at about 50/50, or better yet, everyone should have some kind of an idea how many road miles they do......so how long does the tire last estimated off of your road miles? :applause:

just bought front and rear 606's, 80% road and you know the rest, might try michelin baja's next. bought two ultra heavy duty msr tubes, my buddies xr650l modded to hell gets about 2,000 on his 606's, he's happy with them so i am sure i will be two.

I'm stretching a little because I ain't quit that far west, but where I ride is a very nice mixture of grassy dirt and long rough stretches of very gravelly natural rock and rock shelves on the surface. Some catcus in the mix. It is a close approximation of the desert sw although not as large.

Anyway, 606 rea and MT16 front is a very do just about anything combo.

I do not yet know the mileage of the MT16. The 606 is a 3,000 mile tire plus.

I use heavy tubes and RideON. I also believe I could ride a long ways on this combo even with a flat.

Bridgestone 401A front-non dot

Dunlop 952 rear- non dot

Front lasts about 1500 miles before I get sick of looking at it.

Rears last 700-800 miles(about half tread height)then get chucked.

25% pavement,the rest sand, rocks, hard pack and more rocks.

Oh,and I've run this combo for the last 4,000 miles or so.I'll keep running it,until I spot something that looks like it might work better.

I'm in Phoenix, so the conditions are rocks, hard dirt, single track & real dirt & pines from riding in the low desert, the high desert and the high country. Not much mud out here as water is a bit scarce :eek:....but we know that!!! :lol:

is everyone out here running SLIME in their Heavy Duty Tubes??

......thank you kindly,

Happy Riding !!

:cry: :cry: .

I hear you brother!! I'm in Tucson and the off road terrain is hell on the tires here too. :p

I threw away the deathwings within a month of getting the bike. Went for the D606 front and rear. I got about 2K out of the rear and trashed the front after about 2500 because of a pinch flat (ran it flat for about 6 miles to my truck).

My next set was a MT21 front and the Terrorflex rear (that thing is huge!). I got about 1500 out of the TF (50/50 dirt/street). I didn't like the MT21 in the loose stuff so I replaced both tires with the Kenda 760.

I really like these tires so far (only 500 miles). They seem to hook up much better in the sand and so far no knob tears from the rocks. :applause:

I run both wheels with wheel locks, HD tubes AND slime!! Way too many pointy things around here to take a chance.:applause:

Later...

I got about 5000mile on my terraflex last season, and it was not totally spent. I would say about 90% of that was pretty aggressive street riding. i was very very happy with the tire. The MT21 on the front had threads showing at the same milage.

I run a D 756 up front, and a 739 in the rear. I like this combo so far.....esspecially the 739. It's really tough!

i run michelin ac10's for dirt (and sometimes street, they are d.o.t. legal too) but i run cheng shin trials tires for everyday street and trail riding i like those because even though i don't get the same long mileage as the trail wing 42's (which i got about 4000 miles, mostly street) the trials tires are way more sticky on the road and are great for light trail riding too. i had dunlop d739's but i literally ripped 4 rows of knobs off of my rear (i have pics pm me if you want them) so i won't buy those again, but the michelin ac10 is a great offroad tire and i trust it on the street too

The conditions are rocks, hard dirt, single track & real dirt & pines.

A Kenda K760 rear and a Michelin AC10 front.

Forget about the Dunlop D606 for your needs. You won't be happy with it. It's a 50/50 tire.

:applause:

Here's what the K760 looks like...

k760B.jpg

Okay ya'll............all great suggestions. There really are a good number of quality dual-sport tires out there.

BUT NOW, what about just off-road stuff for the hard pack western US???

I will do some road riding, but only to get to the riding area.

The Dunlop 739 looks like a great choice. Maybe even a Terra-Flex rear, but geeze, that looks like a big & heavy tire.

Is the 739 the tire of choice out here????

Come on now all of you California.........Arizona...........Utah.............New Mexico............Texas riders:cool:

What's wrapped around wheels when you're throwing roost?? :lol:

Thanks again!

Happy Riding !!

:applause: :applause:

I run Bridgestone ED77/78 combo with Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes. These are the heaviest duty tubes I've seen and I havent had a flat in years. I ride 90% dirt and the ED 77/78's are desert tires but not DOT's. They work well and hold up well in the dirt and work well on the pavement (better than most other full Knobbies I've tried). I have been using this combo since '02 and will continue to do so.

I have a Metzler MC4 front(Not DOT) and A new Terror Flex rear. I have used MT 21's front and rear, and Dunlop 606's front and rear. They both wear out too soon for me. The Terror Flex is new and it has poor road manners but seems to hook up very well in the dirt. I don't yet have enough dirt experience with this tire to have a solid opinion, but I think it's going to be fine for off road. When new it has the best tire lube I've ever experienced. I used to work in the motorcycle industry in various positions including tire installer. When I did that for a living it was part of my job to inform the customer that tires come with a protective coating that will make the tire slippery until it wears off. I have never experienced a tire even close to as slippery as the Terror Flex. The coating has worn off and now seems to be hooking up just fine on the road, but it is very sensitive to lines or grooves in the pavement. It also has a very spooky feeling when going around corners on the road. It does not inspire much confidence on road. It is much better than it was when I first rode it home, but it's still too scketchy for my taste. I will try Kenda's next.

A surpprise side effect of the Terror Flex has been taller gearing. My RPMs are lower and gas consumption has improved. With the nearly bald MT21 that I replaced with the Terror Flex the bike was getting about 96 to 98 miles to hit reserve now it's making it to 104 miles before hitting reserve. Yes I can go 6 to 8 miles further with the bigger tire.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

P.S. I'm doing a Crown King overnighter this comming weekend so I will be able to get an idea of how the Terror Flex will perform off road.

I got about 5000mile on my terraflex last season, and it was not totally spent. I would say about 90% of that was pretty aggressive street riding. i was very very happy with the tire. The MT21 on the front had threads showing at the same milage.

I gotta second that - I got about 5200 miles out of my last Terror-Flex, and it was still serviceable on the road. I got the same out of my MT21 front, but it was toast when I replaced it. I put another Terror-Flex on the back and a Trackmaster II on the front.

I have Teroflex on the back and MT18 Heavy Duty on the front. Dont know how long they will last, only put them on a couple of weeks ago. The combo did raise my seat height by about a quarter of an inch. You won't believe how big the treads are on the teroflex.

According to the guy I ordered the teroflex from, they are developing a front tire to match the rear tread design. Not sure when they will be available.

The combo I am running works well on the street, but I do not run in the rain.

The Dunlop 739 looks like a great choice. Maybe even a Terra-Flex rear, but geeze, that looks like a big & heavy tire.

Is the 739 the tire of choice out here????

Come on now all of you California.........Arizona...........Utah.............New Mexico............Texas riders:cool:

What's wrapped around wheels when you're throwing roost?? :lol:

Thanks again!

Happy Riding !!

:applause: :applause:

I believe the 739 is non-DOT which would rule it out for me. I've had the Pirelli 21's which wore to soon, the Kenda 270 front which I liked and wore well on the street, and was decent in the hard dirt. Thinking of the Teraflex rear and maybe the ac10 on the front. I've got Avon Distanzia's now for the street which are great for that use.

I ride on everything from bottomless coastal mud to technical rock courses. The T/F is a good tire that lasts. It is not a great tire in all situations. It is a very good tire in most situations. I run a kenda 760 frount because I'm not overly concerned in high speed cornering. The kenda is tough and hooks up very well on long steep decents. Both tires are DOT. They are also stiff enoungh to ride flat (2 rim locks).

Anyone looking for a beat, bullet-proof DRZ 400s? I have one. It has several rock shaped, custom fitted components.