Tire Talk...

So what do you guys think about tires on a 97 YZ 250....I ride trails alot, but am going to race some MX aswell this year. I need something that is going to do the job, but not wear down on me to much. Oh yeah i come in to the corners hard and need something that wont slide out!!! Tired of eating dirt!

what kind of terrain do you ride? hard pack? sand? loam?

The answer to this should point you in the right direction. After that, its really mostly preference. You will hear all kinds of differnt opinions when it comes to tires. I personally like the MH3 on the rear, it is a hard/intermediate tire but hooks up pretty good in most terrain and lasts a long time. I can get at least 2-races (100 mile desert races) and a fair amount of trail riding out of them. In the front I run a 755 because we have a lot of sand and this tire kills it. When it comes down to it dont worry to much, tires don't last that long, if you don't like the one you buy, ride the crap out of it and get something different.

I like the Dunlop 742 front tire for all-around, it wears good and gets good traction. I like the 756 front when things get really soft. The Dunlop 756 and 952 rears are what I'll be using this year, they're great when they're good. As long as you somewhat match the conditions to the tire you choose, you should be good to go.

IMO, losing the front end in a corner or having the rear end spin out on exit has more to do with riding style than tire choice (though bike setup also plays a part- particularly suspension).

When coming in to a corner sit forward, as far forward as you can. If you ever think you're far enough forward, you're not! Slide up! Also, extending your inside leg is for more than just show, practice it.

Exiting, keep your weight centered front to back, slide your butt a little to the outside, and actively press down on the outside peg.

Im a Broke College kid too with a 99 YZ250 and i want to get a Sand paddle for my bike so i can go to the Silver Lake Sand dunes here in Michigan. I am thinking about buying a Chen Sheng Sand Pro cause its only like 43.99. I was wondering if anyone else has ever used these and if they are going to hold up, or if i should go for something more expensive, like a hooker. Thanks

I was wondering if anyone else has ever used these and if they are going to hold up, or if i should go for something more expensive, like a hooker. Thanks

watch out for the cheap hookers, and make sure if you do pick up a hooker that they are clean.

as far as on the regular tires, i love the michelins. i can run a season on 2-3 ms3 rears.

We always called the Chin Shin's ..."Chunk Shit" because that is what they do. The tire is HARD! For sand, your probably ok, but they die quickly anywhere else.

Really, mail order and change them yourself is the only way to go on tires. My local shop wants over a hundred for a rear 756 Dunlop.

The Dunlop 952 rear is a decent tire and it holds up a lot better than other Dunlops. For the front, I love the 756 rr's. Again, mail order. The front tires are important and even an rr will last a decent amount of hours.

The only front tire I hated was the Brigestone 401. It was ok in soft dirt, but horrible in any other condition. I would avoid this tire at all costs.

They want $100 for the tire and the replace, or just the tire? There is a new Honda Dealership where i live and they will change a tire for like 15 bucks if you remove the wheel. I just cant seem to work with those rear tires, maybe im doing something wrong. Yeah i wouldnt buy a cheng shin for anything other than sand, cause i heard they chunk real bad. I have Dunlop 756's i think i can never remember the number. I def. agree mail order is the way to go, on www.rockymoutainatv.com they dont even charge you a special handling fee. Anyway thanks for the info.

My local shop wants over a hundred for a rear 756 Dunlop.

Holy S***!!! I just bought a D952 rear and a D756 front for $49.99 each at a local dealer.

I agree that the 952 is a good all around tire that wears well...makes a good rear tire. For the front I prefer the Michelin S-12 or the D756. My favorite rear is the Michelin S-12 but they are more $$ and don't last as long.

The Dunlop D773 is by far the best rear I have ever used. It hooks up so good that it is almost freaky...the problem is that they wear out FAST.

At 101.85 for a rear 756, the local dealers price, they will mount it for you. However, they always nail you for a tube and a rim lock...adding another 25.00 to the puzzle. Oddly enough, they sell a lot of tires.

Rears are not so bad. It takes practice. Invest some of your savings in extra irons. 5-6 of them until you really catch on to the process. The zip ty racing tire irons work really well. I have yet to pinch anything while using them.

Best deal on the best tire! Only one I buy.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=2874&department=647&division=6

I actually like changing tires, see the vid, get a quality iron-I like the curved, practice.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1215721,00.html