Sign in to follow this  

Yoshimura RS-3 Insert Help

I have just brought the RS-3 it came with an insert in but I am finding it too loud to use as my neighbours have yound kids and I go to work early in the morning...Can I get a quiter insert to take the noise level down?? and may I just ad I dont care about performance..Or is there anything I can do to the insert that came in it to make it quiter???? Any help gladly received...

I've never heard of an insert that would make it quieter then the "quiet" insert that comes with it. My only suggestion would be to be gentle on the throttle when in residential neighborhoods... that's what I do, and I run the pipe with no insert (just spark arrestor)

I have posted picture below...Mine came with what I am holding in my hand..Thats all...Can I do anything with that to make it quiter?? and like I say I dont care about performance..

Picture052.jpg

Experiment with reducing the exhaust hole diameter to see if that will get you where you want to be.

You could try some PVC tubing to let you hear what different diameter holes will sound like. PVC is easy to cut, fit and is cheap...but it will melt if used too long...this would only be used to experiment with.

There are some factory sound reducers from some companies that are simply a metal tube with a metal washer welded inside. The point being, a smaller hole produces a smaller sound.

A homemade insert that reduces the diameter is where I'd start.

You can always sell your pipe and buy a different brand....not fun to think about, but it would solve the sound issue.

I have the same thing on my trc Ti,without it it is very loud but with the spark arrester in its ok. Cant see why its too loud for you .....

Its too loud becuase I leave for work at 6am and live in a very quite culd-d-sac...so I wake the who road up......I was thinking of sealing the spark arestor holes up and cutting the end of the tube off to create a smaller bore

DOn't seal the holes, you'll restrict the motor majorly. The best thing to do is use some steel wool and wrap around the insert. It will quiet it down a bit and you can just take it (the steel wool) off a few miles down the road or when you want to run a bit more power.

Jus wrap a bit of the steel wool arond the insert and stick it back in the muffler, you'll notice a differance.

and like I say I dont care about performance.
Its too loud becuase I leave for work at 6am and live in a very quite culd-d-sac

Stock Pipe, that is your answer, I told you last night, and I say it again.

If you need stealth, stay stock.

If you just want the bling factor, you should have bought a UK "E" maked system, like a Scorpion for £300

Neil. :applause: :applause: :lol:

The small tec insert is equal to stock if not a little better off the bottom, has a better mid range hit than the open yosh, but does fall below stock on the top end, but it is very quiet.

Neil I looked at the scorpion but someone told me I couldnt use my stock heat shield...I might try the wire wool trick as suggested above...I just like the fact my pipe is a Yoshi....I will have it loud in the summer... I was going to use exhaust packing...but I think wire wool will do the job

Some one published this picture a while back and i saved it. It shows the old type inserts that used to be available. maybe you could make somthing similar. :applause:

tecinsert.jpg

Its too loud becuase I leave for work at 6am and live in a very quite culd-d-sac...so I wake the who road up......

I have a mean-eyed rooster that wakes up the slugs that sleep past 6 anyway. :applause:

I have just brought the RS-3 it came with an insert in but I am finding it too loud to use as my neighbours have yound kids and I go to work early in the morning...Can I get a quiter insert to take the noise level down?? and may I just ad I dont care about performance..Or is there anything I can do to the insert that came in it to make it quiter???? Any help gladly received...

Just wanted to ask if you don't care about performance, why did you buy the RS3 in the first place when the stock is nice and quiet?

A cool trick that will solve your problem, is to fold an old towel in half and drape it over the end of the exhaust outlet (use an elastic band to keep it on) while you warm it up and/or ride thru the neighborhood...then just reach back and take it off once you get down the road. The towel absorbs the "Pop" of the exhaust and really quiets it down. With this method you can keep the pipe open for full perf but can hush it up when you need to...I have a Yosh Ti with full race core muffler and it's loud in the quiet morning also...I use the towel method everyday while it warms up.:applause: Andrew

sell the pipe ...... ive got a stocker you can have if you want it. brand new of an 05 sm