Sign in to follow this  

KX100 year-by-year changes? What? When?

I'm thinking about picking up a KX100 for my wife and was wondering how long Kawasaki has been making the current generation. When have these bikes really changed over the years? I've searched all over the internet and can't really find any specific information about this.

The only thing that I know that changed was the single radiator into dual radiator. I have a single 2001, last year they made the single I think:confused: but never had a problem with it overheating. Great bike but now I'm trying to sell it because i got a kx250.:applause:

The only thing that I know that changed was the single radiator into dual radiator. I have a single 2001, last year they made the single I think:confused: but never had a problem with it overheating. Great bike but now I'm trying to sell it because i got a kx250.:applause:

how much? got pics.

Asking $1300, Not sure how to get pics onto website. It has pro-valve suspension, fmf pipe/silencer, reeds, and more. All work was done before I got it. Pro racers kids bike. Got it and hit a growth spurt (I'm only 15). The only sign of where is the graphic on the left side changed colors from gas getting spilled on it.

That's actually not true, the KX100 has never had more than one rad. The newer models just have symetrical plastic and a fake rad cover on the left side to make it look like they have two rads, but they in fact have one rad.

As for year by year changes I don't know the exact years, but there are really only four versions of the bike.

First, circra 1991 it was a KX80 Big Wheel. Conventional, damper rod forks, 80cc motor and of course big wheels.

Second (~1996??) the KX100, 100cc motor, inverted forks, the rest the same as above (non-powervalve motor).

Third (2000?), the powervalve KX100 - motor got updated with a new cylinder and modifications to the cases to accept a pv govenor. It also got a new, larger carb otherwise as above.

Fourth the current version (2002?) which has the same basic motor, frame and suspension as above, but more modern looking, symetrical bodywork that at first glance might apear to have two radiators just like the big bikes.

Of the bikes with the inverted forks, performance is very similar - powervalve models have a bit more peak power with similar low-mid (I know, pv's are supposed to help low-mid, but the porting and carb chagnes that went along with the pv cancled that out). The current body style is a bit more comfortable, especially for a taller rider.

In some ways, the pre-powervalve KX100's make better woods bikes as their motors feel a tad bit more torqey and they don't hit as hard. Also, the powervalves are a bit trouble prone and seem to have no real performance benifit as implemented. Also, the non-powervalve cylinders will accept an overbore to 107cc which with some port work can give very good low-mid power. The current cylinder really doesn't have room for an overbore. I like the feel of the current motor much better, it revs higher and hits harder, but more timid riders may like the previous version better.

have fun

oh, for the record my wife has an 03 KX100 (current version) my sister has a 91 KX107 (yep, even the 80cc cylinders could be punched out to 107). My sister won the AMA D-7 womens harescramble championship on her 91 without difficulty. I've ridden both bikes back to back and the current version is better suspended and more comfortable for me.

I would get a 98 over, in 98 powervalves started and the engine covers are different. I like my 97, it is a very good bike and is very fast but I'd preferably get a 98 over or even better 01' over. Also I think in 03'suspension changed. None of the years will make you dissapointed:d Am sure your wife will love the bike and if you want it smoother for her get a Flywheel Weight they say they are great mods. Good Luck!

Willie:ride:

Im short and light (5'7, 160) do you think a KX100 would haul me around trails good? (have the opp to get one cheap) Im coming off of riding quads.

Yeah, mine would haul my dad around. He is about 200 pounds. They are a surprising amount of power in a small package. I'd put an fmf or pc pipe on it and aftermarket reeds in it and it will rip.:applause:

Im short and light (5'7, 160) do you think a KX100 would haul me around trails good? (have the opp to get one cheap) Im coming off of riding quads.

I'm your weight and a few inches taller. A KX100 has more power than I need. The suspenion will need re-sprung badly to work for you - go with .39kg fork springs and a 5.4kg shock spring.

A full size bike will be more stable in fast rough stuff just due to its size and bigger wheels, but the little KX will have all the motor you'll need. On a really tight woods course I'm faster on the KX100 than anything else, on a more open course I'm faster on my CR250R - for the record I race B class MX/HS.

main reason I was looking at them is that 75% of the riding I do is tight trails in the mountains and woods! as long as it has enough power for the hills

I know between the 06 and 07 was only graphics,and I'm sure the 05 is the same too.Any body live in so cal interested in a well taken care of 06 I bought in march of 06 (low hours) and stayed at home this season cause we have a new 250, PM me.