Sign in to follow this  

DRZ goldvalve instructions

Hi,

I bought a drz rear shock with gold valve and 5.4 racetech rear spring. I want to transfer the gold valve and spring to my 2003 shock because it has adjustable high speed compression damping I believe.

I have tried contacting racetech for instructions and setting for the gold valve but no luck. Does anybody have the gold valve instructions or settings they can scan for me? If someone sends me what I need minor compensation can be worked out as well. Or a donation to thumpertalk.

Thanks

anybody??

The GV is just as adjustable as the stock piston in terms of HS compresion damping. That is, you have to disassemble the shock and shuffle shims to adjust it.

I am not looking for a perfect fine tuned suspension. I would like just an improvement over stock without testing each shim replacment etc.

I have 2 drz shocks. 1 has external HS adjustment and one does not. The gold valve is installed in the shock without external HS damping.

Question: Is it worth it to swap the gold valve into the newer shock with the external HS damping?

I am not looking for a perfect fine tuned suspension. I would like just an improvement over stock without testing each shim replacment etc.

I have 2 drz shocks. 1 has external HS adjustment and one does not. The gold valve is installed in the shock without external HS damping.

Question: Is it worth it to swap the gold valve into the newer shock with the external HS damping?

Ah I see. No, the GV is actually the piston, despite the fancy name and legendary status. If you have a HS Compression adjustment on the newer shock, swapping the GV into that newer shock will not change much about the way the newer shock works over the old when it was equipped wiht the GV.

Although the HS might add a little range of adjustment over the old shock, it's not goign to be as drastic as the factories portray it to be.

Ok, thanks for the help. I've heard good and bad things about the gold valves. But everyone seems to agree it is an improvement over stock but there are better setups around. I got it super cheap so it's not a big loss.

The bike is getting the racetech recommended front/rear springs for my weight this week and new fork oil so I am hoping to notice a good improvement. All the searching I did said the spring was the biggest factor in suspension.

Is there any webpage that describes each setting and assembly/dissasembly of components?