Sign in to follow this  

bearings aren't staying straight

i just got new bearings for the front wheel of my 03 yz 125 and they wont stay in straight i tryed everything and if i keep trying i think im just going to break something does anyone know what i could do :applause:

They wont stay in straight, or you can't get them in straight? Need some more details about are they in, you trying to get them in or what is going on here. I just installed front wheel bearings yesterday so I can try to help while it is fresh in my mind.

IF you started one and it got cock-eyed, remove it and take a look at the bore the bearing goes in, it most likely has a "lip" of raised aluminum the bearing created when going in twisted. If you can feel it with your fingernails it will keep causing problems. Take some 600 grit sandpaper (NOTHING courser than this) and gently smooth the "lip" down until you can't feel it, taking care not to make the bore oval in the process.

Put the bearings & seals in the freezer, right in the ice box if you have one, and let it stay in there overnight. Next day, heat the wheel hub with a heat gun or somthing until it is hot to the touch. I stood my wheel in front of the torpedo heater in the garage for a couple minutes. Go straight and get the bearing out of the freezer and take it straight to the wheel and drive it in with the back of a socket that is large enough to cover the entire bearing - my front wheel bearings needed a 28mm socket for this.The bearing should go in fairly easy using these steps.

Once the bearing is in if you go ahead and get the seals out of the freezer now and wipe a light coat of grease around the outside you can push them in with your thumbs - atleast mine did - this works out nice as you don't want to beat on a seal.

ok thanks ill try this i did find a scratch on it and i got that smooth with some sand paper i know thats probly bad but im selling the bike soon and im not riding it i have a freezer in my garage and a heater so ill try and see what happens:thumbsup: