Sign in to follow this  

DRZ sub-frame strength.

Whats upTT! I am brand new to this forum!

Wondering if you guys could pas a litle info my way?

I was just wondering if anyone has loaded up there drz for a long haul?

and if so have they or anyone else heard of the weight of a rider and lugage casuing the subfame to fail?

Thinking of doing a trip and would be packing some luggage (nothing major).

I herd stories and seen pics of klr and ktm 640 adventures loaded in the midle of nowehere with a carcked sub-subframes from the weight of the luggage.

That would suck1

anyone have anything to add on this?.....

Thanks.

Good question. Currently I am searching for racks to bolt to the subframe of my 03 drz400s, or I may even fab some up. Looking at the thing, it is apparent that geometry plays a crucial role... the closer to the front, the greater the load-bearing ability. Stick a big load (so to speak) up and to the rear, problems are sure to follow . . .my thought is to distribute the load as low and as forward as possible.

I've mounted a giant milk crate (about 3 times as big as usuall size) directly to the rear subframe, with 3 days worth of camping gear including tent, 5 liter gas tank and 6 liters of water. Whole thing probably weighed around 50-60 lbs. Crashed a whole bunch of times with it too, and the subframe doesn't show any signs of giving it up.

I'd hope Suzuki designed it to take a passanger that is least 170lb in weight, so it should be ok.

Funny thing is, while riding I can't even tell all the junk is back there. Picking it up is another matter though.

Thanks for the info!

drjack that was a good link, anyone looking for luggage should chekc it out.

I guess if the sub-frame is built for another person it shouldl be all right!

So looks like I wont have to get a replica built of chromoly

Sub frames are pretty strong. I would recommend using Happy Trails system. Did me well on my trip thru Siberia and Mongolia. See attached photos

Additionally I might consider beefing up the sub frame bolts with a high tension bolt of extra length, and using a lock nut on the inside of the frame.

mts.jpg

Russian, Kazak, and mongolian border region of the Altai moutains

proof of the strenth of Happy trails luggage

crash.jpg

Mauidrz,

looks like the sub-frame will hold up! good idea with the bolts.

Looks like you had quite the trip!

I guess you are the guy to talk to regarding "Adventurizing" a DRZ!

Anything you learn about the bike on your trip? things that worked? things that didn't? things you added? things to up grade?

Thanks for the info!