Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Handguards

Update: Got the Acerbis Rally Pros to work. Encountered a few problems and had to "custom engineer" some things... Updated photo in 'My Garage'.

Has anyone been successful in installing either Acerbis or Cycra handguards on a
pair
of Pro Taper SE bars? These are 7/8" aluminum bars with a crossbar. I want to upgrade from the stock handguards to something stronger. The issues I'm concerned about are:

1. Whether the bar end attachments will fit in the ends of the bars as the bar are thick (material thickness reduces inside diameter of hole).

2. Will the crossbar mounts be in the way.

I don't want to drive 30 miles round trip to keep returning stuff that may not work/fit.
:applause:
I understand some come with several mounting options. I'm hoping someone has gone through this already?!

Check my garage, I have had a great experience with EMGO Barkbusters. They fit fine into the hole on my 7/8's CR High Renthal Bars and have done their job great. I would highly recommend them.

Crossbar mount does not have any problems with EMGO barkbusters.

These guard have a coarse piece that expands when a tapered bolt sort of thing threads in and grabs really tight. If you are still running stock, it comes with a piece of rubber that you slide over the expanding piece to make up the size difference.

Yeah , I thimk there all a pain in the arse to mount. They never seem to fit just right. The acrebis ralley pro's are made of a lite enough material that you can bend them and manipulate them for the fit you want. but they are molded, and if you scuff them in a crash, yo cant just replace the flag. and I've seen the bar inserts break on these. Lets see Iv'e seen the cyrcas and acrebis mounted on pro tapers..

Zappa - I checked your pictures out. Thanks for the input. The EMGOs seemed reasonably priced too.

I don't think you'll have any problem. I bought & mounted protaper contours & acerbis rally pros. No cross bar but I think the inner mtg. point of the rally is well beyond the cross bar mtg point. The end of the bar is same dia so the I.D. (inner dia) is likely too.

FYI, I learned to rotate those guards way down like Zappa - don't risk broken wrists from an endo.

ps. - I'm also in S.D. (well, carlsbad/vista) & my g/f rides a TTR125le as well.

:applause:

FYI, I learned to rotate those guards way down like Zappa - don't risk broken wrists from an endo.

Never thought of it that way, I fell once and the barkbuster went up and my grip and glove got covered in mud. Put them down and she didn't budge.

I also think it looks better with the barkbusters aiming low.

Hey All,

Thanks for the input. I actually updated (edited) my original post as I was successful. I now ordered some generic rubber boots and the correct hardware to secure the levers. The old hardware requires the spacing of the original handguards.

XR Bill -- Did you uncork the GF's TTR125? That's my next project...

Tony

Hey All,

Thanks for the input. I actually updated (edited) my original post as I was successful. I now ordered some generic rubber boots and the correct hardware to secure the levers. The old hardware requires the spacing of the original handguards.

XR Bill -- Did you uncork the GF's TTR125? That's my next project...

Tony

Hi Tony,

No I havent. It's on my 'to do list' & havent searched out what can be done yet to give more umph to the TTR other than a bigger pilot jet. Guess the airbox / unifilter thing as well & maybe a cheap pipe mod or replacement. I did set the race sag last week & she likes that better going through the whoops. She's skinny & still not enough suspension on the bike for her. Got any info for uncorking....besides a CRF150?

Thanks,

Bill

XR Bill,

The link below was a great resource for uncorking the TTR125. The thread is nearly 30 pages long. I have some pictures of the mods in "My Garage". The bike's cold blooded nature went away. Warms up a lot quicker now and doesn't feel so stuffed up on those runs up and down the street!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170429

My posted results: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4453345#post4453345

Sweet write up. After I asked I realized the infinite value of TT & looked at the TTR section (duh).