Sign in to follow this  

Trail ride?!?

Ok, I'm a local track rider/racer in nor cal. I have an '05 crf 450r. My friend has been pushing me to go on a trail ride with him on some "killer trails". He also said i should get a counter shaft sprocket 1 tooth smaller for the trail ride. I've heard in the past that this accually affects the handing of the bike, because the shock will have different rebound and damping characteristics. Is this true, and should I change the front spocket for the trail ride?

Dont worry about your shocks, never heard of such a problem. I dont know how many teeth are on your rear sprocket but it would probably be easier to change it to some thing with 48 or 50 teeth.Most bikes for "trail use" have a heavier flywheel to smooth the power and reduce stalling in the slow stuff.Look into these if you like the trails. Have fun.

Even if it is true it will be such a small difference it will never matter if your riding with your buddy. If you were racing then maybe I would look into it further, but for a casual ride, I wouldn't think twice about it.

if would just leave your gearing the way it is, go out and have fun and :applause: plus the smaller countershaft sprocket puts more stress on the chain+rear sprocket and wears them out a little quicker.

By changing the sprocket, it will not cause an effect on suspension. However, using the stock sprockets should be perfectly fine! there is no need to go out and spend 60 dollars for a rear S.

By changing the sprocket, it will not cause an effect on suspension. However, using the stock sprockets should be perfectly fine! there is no need to go out and spend 60 dollars for a rear S.

No doubt! If you are gonna change one or the other, change the c/s, it's a helluva lot less expensive. But honestly, I only ride woods and haven't yet changed from the stock gearing ratios. At some point, I will probably play around with it, out of curiousity. But I'll be playing with $25 countershaft sprocket instead of an $80-100 rear.

I have 3 different counter sprockets that will fit both my WR and YZ and RMC were dirt cheap! Come to think of it I have 3 different rears as well but I don't change these.

Just looked it up 8 bucks each.

Well, a one tooth smaller counter shaft sprocket will move the rear axle back a smidgen and this will decrease your rear spring and damping characteristics just by the added mechanical leverage. However, the amount of difference is hardly measurable and no more than what a slightly worn chain would do.

1 or 2 teeth smaller front will be a very good thing if you take a mx bike on tight steep trails. Otherwise you will be in first gear all day and slipping the poor clutch to death.

your bike will rip just fine. I mostly use 2nd anyways, first has too much torque, second will bog down low and still rip when you pull the throttle. Yes, you may have to feather the clutch some in real tight stuff but when it opens up it will be like you are on the track. Just be careful around the tree's they are not very forgiving.