Used Bike recommendations for desert HS/MX

:applause:

I got some cheep trail bikes in October of 06 for me and my girl friend. I guess you could say I caught the bug. I did my first desert hair scramble here in Arizona last week on my KLX and came in 3rd in the sportsman class. Kicked my ass out there on the rocky single track with cholla cactus but I think will try again. I felt like I was held back buy the bike. Mainly with the power out of the corner (CV carb), suspension, no e-start for stalls and mistakes, riding position. I also go to the local MX track for night practice during the week. Should I spend money on the cheep bikes? Should I try to pick a bike that will help me to be more competitive when I go to the 30 Vet C class (open bike class). A lot of the guys there had KTM’s (2 and 4 stroke), some KDX and a little of everything.

I am 6’2” 190 ish no gear

Here is what I got.

99 Kawasaki KLX 300

All the free mods, DynoJet Kit, Desert tank, Scoots stabilizer, 50 tooth sprocket

01 Suzuki DRZ250

Bone stock

(This bike does have E-start)

The way I read it is that there is lots of racing in your future. That combined with the fact that you are hitting the track also tells me that you need to get a more current bike...I would recommend against dumping money into the older bikes. You'll still have an old bike that is still not as good as the more current bikes.

If you are going to be mixing moto and hare scrambles than an MX bike is your best bet. A few simple mods like a flywheel weight and suspension revalve can make it easy to handle off road without sacrificing too much at the track. The YZ 250 seems to be the favorite of many riders that compromise between track and trail.

One of the 50C riders at Holy Joe rides a YZ250 (2001, maybe 2002) with a few simple mods and an auto clutch. I've ridden it twice out on the trails now. Far easier to ride than my 125, and I could push it much faster than my KDX. Tons more potential than your KLX has.

KTM has some great bikes as well, but finding a used one seems to be tough. Everyone that has one loves it!

Congrats on the 3rd. I gave 200B class a try, a stock 125 was not the right thing to be on there. I really regret not racing the KDX. I still had fun though.

Thanks for the props. Good job with a stock 125 out there that was brutal but I had fun after the 2nd lap. I had to learn how to ride on stuff like that. T

The 03 yz 250 with an auto clutch, 11 fly wheel, adjusted forks, bark busters, and a big tank sounds like the best 2 stroke for me. That or the KTM 200exc, kina race ready but top end will not last as long. (BOTH NO E_START)

I think I want the WR250f if I go 4 stroke. They seem to hold up good. And you can find a used one. The KTM250f ex sounds good but good luck finding one used on Earth. (BOTH E START)

I found this post on another website buy woods guys. The guy went with the 125

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

1. Buy a 2006 KDX200 and do the same mods I did to the 94 model. Total coast would be about $5200.

2. Buy a 2004 left over Yamaha wr250f and set up the suspension and whatever else it needed to race hare scrambles. Cost of the bike would be $4900 plus whatever the mods I would need.

3. Buy a leftover 2003 YZ250 two stroke for $4200 and set up the suspension and whatever mods it needs for off road hare scrambles.

4. Buy a leftover 2004 Honda CR125 and set up the suspension and what ever mods it would need for off road. Cost of the new leftover CR125R would be$3900

5. Buy a new 2006 KTM200, Yamaha WR250F, or a HondaCR250F set up the suspension. Cost on these new bikes with suspension mods will run somewhere around $6700.)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

almost any of the newer yz250's sould like what your after. I could be wrong, but the 2001 had the new engine in it right? i though it was the 2001+ that got the big update. Any how, i have an 02 yz250 and at least 02 and newer have awesome motor, and each year after that the suspension gets a little better and better out of the box.

If the suspension is OK for you on the KLX 300 and you're comfortable on it, I would stick with it especially for AZ single track style scrambles. KLX300 is a sweet little bike on the twisty rocky nasties in the desert. Put a 380 kit on it and race the crap out of it. By the time you figure out what you really want to ride, the KLX300 will have served you well.

ok if i made the klx a bad ass

36mm Mikuni 120

header pipe 120

kx shocks 200 (ebay = custom mill work)

reJet the bike free

365cc over kit 2300 (is not made anymore no more stroker Inc.)

so I do the mods I can do then I will have a nice 99 klx.... worth what resale?

on top of that I will have no e-start

:applause:

give and take

I have to have 2 bikes ":foul:"

or just the yz250 but then the light and tail light is like 600 bucks

im a 2 stroke guy.. and i own a honda and love it.. if i was you i would really consider a honda.. they have great suspension.. and handle the best out of any other bike.. but i must tell u that they are a little behind power wise.. but they are very reliable and durable machines.. but also the KTMs.. they are hard to find used and can be really pricie but u get what u pay for.. in my opion KTM has the best bike out there.. mainly because its ready to go rite when u get it.. and they are also very durable... the only prob. with KTM is that it is also harder to find spare parts.. but other than that honda and KTM are great machines.. but every company has there pluses and minuses!!:applause:

Thanks for the advice

When you say Honda are you talking about a CR250? My bud has one set up for MX (pipes, jet carb ect.) I got on it and man when that power band kicks in the bike is scary fast. I don't know how I could manage that wheel spin power on the trail. I guess if I got a yz250 and set it up the off road (tank, adjust the forks, pipe, larger flywheel) would it be the same kind of power or could the bike have more grunt??

If all 250's feel the same well I need to work on my skills before I go up to that much power :applause: !