Questions for KTM 450 XC owners

Does this bike ride good in tight trails? ( I race GNCC and enduros, so if I get one I want it to be good in tight trails too.) Does it over heat on tight trails? Anything you can tell me I buying a 450 exc or 450 xc, need help deciding. I am comming off a crf 450r. Thanks

Does this bike ride good in tight trails? ( I race GNCC and enduros, so if I get one I want it to be good in tight trails too.) Does it over heat on tight trails? Anything you can tell me I buying a 450 exc or 450 xc, need help deciding. I am comming off a crf 450r. Thanks

The XC is my favorite, a bit more MX like then the EXC

The EXC is built a little fast for the tight stuff in My opinion. Get the XC. It is a big bore short stroke and the EXC is a small bore long stroke. It will be the difference of using a lot of clutch in the tight stuff.

Actually I think you are wrong here, these two bikes have the exact same motor in every way. The real difference is in the tranny ratio's, and the lighting of course.

Actually I think you are wrong here, these two bikes have the exact same motor in every way. The real difference is in the tranny ratio's, and the lighting of course.

The tech data on them says that the XC and the XCW Bore and stroke is 95/63.4 and the data on the EXC says 89/72.

Ah, KTM's "alphabet soup" model line up strikes again. The 450EXC is a road legal long-stroke enduro bike. The 450XC-W (W for "wide ratio") is the same bike but without lights etc (and doesn't show up on the KTM usa website). The 450XC (a.k.a. 450XC-G) is a short stroke/big bore bike with different tranny and suspension.

Very simple:foul:

Actually the EXC (XC-W) and XC share the SAME 1,2 and 4 gears...so the trans is not really that different. The XC has a taller 3rd and lower 5 and 6 gear, that gives it the "close ratio" it is known for. The EXC (XC-W) have a lower 3rd (actually better spaced in my opinion) and a taller 5 and 6.

The suspenders are vlaved softer on the EXC (XC-W) and the rear shock does NOT have the high speed adjuster that the XC gets. The XC also has a fork spring pre-load adjustment.

The XC is a short stroke. BUT the EXC (XC-W) CAN use the 540 kit if one wants to rip arms from sockets...not sure if the XC can use the kit, or if so what the displacement would be. The 540 kit is $800 retail from KTM not too bad when the 535 is really a 510, so adding this to the 450 is rally adding a LOT of power for little $$$.

Having both available to ride, I notice the difference. In the tricky mountain terrain we ride in, a "granny" gear is helpful and we gear them down to 13-52. We use logging roads to move from trail to trail and the EXC has as much speed as you'd ever want, the XC hits its limit in this situation. I'll say that the XC has more than enough speed for any trail, and frankly as much as you SHOULD use on gravel, too. I don't find the EXC too gappy, but for tight racing or sand where you need the RIGHT gear, the XC would be better.

As far as I can tell we agree on the suspension.

Travis or Dave Hopkins could give all of the potential for displacement increase, but the EXC (XC-W) starts with a longer stroke so for every bore increase it will have an advantage. With stroker kits (obviously) you can end up with the same motor.

The XC is my favorite, a bit more MX like then the EXC

I agree with Dave, my favorite also. The xc would be at an advantage over the exc do to the closer ratio gearing. Never had mine overheat, but I have heard of some having that problem and a rad fan took care of it. I also believe that the Clarke tank allows for a rad fan, unlike the IMS. Do a search to be sure though.:applause:

Having both available to ride, I notice the difference. In the tricky mountain terrain we ride in, a "granny" gear is helpful and we gear them down to 13-52. We use logging roads to move from trail to trail and the EXC has as much speed as you'd ever want, the XC hits its limit in this situation. I'll say that the XC has more than enough speed for any trail, and frankly as much as you SHOULD use on gravel, too. I don't find the EXC too gappy, but for tight racing or sand where you need the RIGHT gear, the XC would be better.

As far as I can tell we agree on the suspension.

Travis or Dave Hopkins could give all of the potential for displacement increase, but the EXC (XC-W) starts with a longer stroke so for every bore increase it will have an advantage. With stroker kits (obviously) you can end up with the same motor.

Based on the stroke that is in them, so just big bore kits;

The short stroke 450XC has bore limits of something like 484.

The long stroke 45-EXC can go to 540

I still favor the XC, the short stroke motors are just plain more phun to ride!

I also agree on the XC. I rode a YZ 426 before making the switch. I love the shorter stroke, and I feel that It works great for trails as well as dunes and hills. I recently rode my last ride on the YZ in Mesquite, my buddy had his 06 450 XC and I took it out a couple of the days and loved it to death. That's is what changed my mind.

• 3 years later...

the 450 xc is amazing on trails, the only time my bike ever overheats is when im playing around. and by that i mean climbing cliffs and getting stuck. i have raced ktm for 6 years now and i have never had a better bike. this bike is amazing in the trails (even better with a gpr stablilzer) and has not once overheated on my in the heat of competition.

I have an 09' XCW 450 and I love it on tight single track. I have the JD kit as well as the catch can and don't notice it overheating. With the forks raised in the triple clamps and sag set right it is really nimble in the trees. The gearing doesn't bother me either since the motor is very hard to stall and will lug better than any bike I have had. BTW mine has the high speed compression adjuster on the shock...