Sign in to follow this  

New AWD bike system.

I would be worried about forks or tripple clamb bending. also the dampending of the forks

Very cool, but the AWD is nothing new. Yamaha and I think it was ohlins dabbled in it as did ktm. I think theirs was hydraulic though. I'd love to ride one :applause:

I believe AWD has been around for a while; I saw a wr450 a while back, and I think it had AWD. Still pretty sick though.

I remember a bike with identical huge tires, maybe 8" wide tires on 18" wheels, always out front of a shop when I was a kid. Maybe a Rokon?

This bike was in Popular Mechanics not long ago. This one is cool just because of the design, because all of the previous AWD bikes only had drive to one side of the front wheel, so it caused a ton of torque steer problems, whereas this one has drive on both sides of the front wheel, to eleminate torque steer. Too bad the kit costs nearly as much as the bike itself, at ~$4000.

i wonder how jumping a bike with the awd system would be like, both wheel gyro, maybe it will help, or maybe it would just throw everything off.

i wonder how jumping a bike with the awd system would be like, both wheel gyro, maybe it will help, or maybe it would just throw everything off.

Yea idk if I would want to jump one of those too big.:applause: Probably just use it for trail riding.

What I don't get is the braking.

If yo look at it, you see that there is a 'thing' going from the countershaft sprocket up to the frame. I'm assuming this is how the front wheel is driven, because you can also see the gearing. What I don't get is that since its connected to the countershaft sprocket, when you lock up that back wheel wouldn't it lock up the front too? Locking up the back wheel would lock up the chain, which locks up countershaft sprocket, which would lock up that 'thing' and would lock up the gears. I don't get it. I'm sure they thought about that, but without reading the information I can't tell.

AWD is completely useless in my opinion. I know plenty of riders that are extremely fast.

It cost too much money too

Scott, I saw the Christini in use at the Endurocross and LMS. I found them very interesting. I asked the person in your booth, heck, it may have been you, if you have tried it with an autoclutch. At the time, you said no. I think it would be a slick set up. I run an auto clutch and a left hand brake kit. Have you tried one with an autoclutch since then?

Thanks

Yamaha and Ohlins did develop this several years ago. WR models can be sold with the system. It is quite pricey though Approx. $12000 per model.

Several have been run in the Dakar over the past couple of seasons and have done extremely well, winning the 450 class outright, even winning stages against the big 600 and 900 cc machines. http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Yamaha/WR-2trac/Page1.htm

There are several old threads in TT on the 2wd WR.

Saw it in the Last Man Standing, looked crazy on the up hills. You could see the front wheel moving the bike along.

My mechanic (now semi retired) was recently hired by this company. Saw his dad a few weeks ago at a track day and he said that his son was not only engineering but was now racing it in some 24 hour race in Ca. (?). Unfortunately I have only spoke to him once (prior to the race) so I dont have any info on how it went.

I stand corrected.

I never meant to imply that Christini "stole" the Ohlins system. I knew hydraulics were utilized in it's operation. I knew there were patents on their design.

I was implying that AWD technology on bikes wasn't brand new. The Yamaha wasnt' even the first AWD or 2wd bike. I think that would be credited to the Rokon.

The Christini website is very nice. I read through alot of the FAQ and have a better understanding of the differences. How much weight does it add to a stock bike?

I am a long time AWD vehicle owner. I own a Subaru WRX and am intimately aware of it's advantages on the road.

I wish the Christini great success.

i saw a WR like that a while back....didnt look anything as nice as that....it had a huge mechanism in the front over the front forks (looked mad ugly)....this thing is sick :applause:

yea its definatley the first one, i saw a crf 250 or 450 (i forget which one) at a hare scramble i went to about two years ago, i remember seeing the one i saw at the hare scramble in dirt rider mag a few months before that, it was all blacked out with black plastics and what not, dont remember how it did, but it was there

That video of the Christini climbing the Joshua Tree in Last man Standing is cool - watching the front wheel throwing roost was different