Sign in to follow this  

will a carbon fiber skid plate work, or die?

im in need of a skid plate for my new crf450r, im really really rich, so im thinking carbon fiber.

but seriously. will it hold up in time of need or just break?

oh and how good are the stock engine guards? do i need to change them?

i dont plan on having to use it ..but when i crash into a pile of rocks or bounce off a boulder, will it crack or shatter? like on occasions where an aluminium plate would bend or gouge would the carbon fiber hold up ?

I have one on my KTM thats scrached gouged dinged but still on the bike after 2 years.

I am surprised on how well they hold up. I thought they would be crap. No. They work as good as any. Friends have them on their bikes. Got them on some clearance sale on ebay.

I got aluminum for price and durablity. If you got the coin why not.

they look pretty for about 2 rides.

The only problem with carbon fiber is that it will have "catostrophic failure", meaning that when it breaks it explodes, nothing left, nada. The way they've solved this now is to weave in kevlar with the graphite, but I have'nt seen any bike parts made of this stuff yet.

I would say to go with aluminum man--the most expensive product is not always the best; if you would like something that would look really sick, I would then go with Carbon Fiber. And by the way, you spelled "really" correct! I am not sure what the guy below you was talking about.

The only problem with carbon fiber is that it will have "catostrophic failure", meaning that when it breaks it explodes, nothing left, nada. The way they've solved this now is to weave in kevlar with the graphite, but I have'nt seen any bike parts made of this stuff yet.

Give me a break (no pun intended). It's carbon fiber, not glass. It doesn't shatter, doesn't explode. I have an E-Line carbon fiber skid plate that has been hammered. It's holding up just fine after many, many rocky miles. I would not hesitate to get another.

I beat mine to death in the west desert rocks. It didn't last very long: deep scratches and gouges, chips, and then it got soft and flexible. Worthless. But it definately helps with the engine noise from a CRF. An aluminum skid plate echos the noise into your face, the carbon one is much nicer.

I would say to go with aluminum man--the most expensive product is not always the best; if you would like something that would look really sick, I would then go with Carbon Fiber. And by the way, you spelled "really" correct! I am not sure what the guy below you was talking about.

He did edit the post for poor spelling :applause:

Give me a break (no pun intended). It's carbon fiber, not glass. It doesn't shatter, doesn't explode. I have an E-Line carbon fiber skid plate that has been hammered. It's holding up just fine after many, many rocky miles. I would not hesitate to get another.

I have one of the ELine pieces also. I like it. Havent really hammered the hell out of it yet, but it's definitely heavy duty. It's 6mm thick at the bottom, 5mm up higher. I have a friend who works for a GP auto race team. He was over a couple nights ago and got to looking at it (they make their own in-house CF) he was surprised at all the layers it was made with. He said it was a "killer" piece. I'll find out for certain at some point, I'm sure...

Originally Posted by gprodick

I didn't say it will break, I said when, or if, it breaks it will disintegrate. It won't crack, just a bunch of little pieces to show your friends how well it worked.:applause:

On my old bike I had the cf skid plate, engine gaurds, chain guide, frame guards... The skid plate had a few chips but nothing bad it held up awesome.

He did edit the post for poor spelling :applause:

Self-conscious?! :applause:

hahahahaha I am just kidding---sometimes I like to talk lieekee thsssiii!!

Carbon fiber is stronger generally stronger than steel, depending on the grade. It should hold up great, but do expect it to get gouged, scratched, etc, but it won't dent, but rather crack when it does decide to break.

I shattered the KTM hard parts one. If I had an aluminum one it wouldn't have dented my frame. Needless to say, I have an aluminum one now.:applause:

Found one cheap on ebay a few years back and me and the next owner of the bike have not been able to destroy it. If I had the cash I wouldnt use anything else. I really like the form fitting molded look and the light weight.

I've had a couple and beat the crap out of them and all they got were some scratches.

I beat mine to death in the west desert rocks. It didn't last very long: deep scratches and gouges, chips, and then it got soft and flexible. Worthless. But it definately helps with the engine noise from a CRF. An aluminum skid plate echos the noise into your face, the carbon one is much nicer.

I never would of questioned the noise being reflected less from the carbon than the aluminum. Being most of newer four strokes sound like they are rattle traps, this is a very good point to choose carbon.

Which manufacturer's plate went soft and any ideas why it did that? Honestly, I have always bought works connection's stuff and been very happy. But, keeping the noise down always interests me.

Thanks