Sign in to follow this  

Bleeding Excess Air From Forks

Asked my nephew the other day how long it had been since he bled the air out of his forks. Turns out he had never done it in the 2 years he has owned the bike.:applause: Explained he should do it at least every few rides. Showed him what to do and it almost sounded like we were letting air out of a bicycle tire. How much of difference do you think there will be the next time he's out at the track?

Alot, but depends if you know how your bike responds and feels. Some people can ride a bike that has been changed drastically, and can't tell a difference. I can change 1-2 clicks and feel it.

Mike - are you saying that the fork oil will be in bad shape because the air had not been bled or because the fork oil has not been replaced? He probably only rides the bike 15 times a year. Either way it's definitely time for fluid replacement.

Mike - are you saying that the fork oil will be in bad shape because the air had not been bled or because the fork oil has not been replaced? He probably only rides the bike 15 times a year. Either way it's definitely time for fluid replacement.

No- I'm sorry if I worded it badly. It will probalby feel softer because the more air that buils up makes it feel stiffer. If you let it go a couple times then bleed you can feel the difference in renewed plushness. I would just change the oil and he'll be fine. He probably won't beleive how different they feel after bleeding them.

When the oil gets changed throwin some new seals too:thumbsup:

Asked my nephew the other day how long it had been since he bled the air out of his forks. Turns out he had never done it in the 2 years he has owned the bike.:applause: Explained he should do it at least every few rides. Showed him what to do and it almost sounded like we were letting air out of a bicycle tire. How much of difference do you think there will be the next time he's out at the track?

Moose and Motion-Pro both make the spring loaded button valves to help with this. I think that they are $20-$30, then he can do it every time he rides.

It's gonna feel pretty soft I would think. I'd hate too see the mucus his fork oil has turned into. :applause:

LOL I prefer the term "dinosour piss" but yes, the oil is probably way way past it's expiration date...

LOL I prefer the term "dinosour piss" but yes, the oil is probably way way past it's expiration date...

:applause: Good one, I will use this one some day...no doubt:busted: !!!

Moose and Motion-Pro both make the spring loaded button valves to help with this. I think that they are $20-$30, then he can do it every time he rides.

He could/should still bleed the air out about every time he rides with a screwdriver and not have to spend anything.

doc

I'm guilty of not bleeding the air out of my DR.

Why don't sport bikes have the bleeder hole on the fork cap?

I'm guilty of not bleeding the air out of my DR.

Why don't sport bikes have the bleeder hole on the fork cap?

thats a good Q!!!