Sign in to follow this  

Any advice form you guys on this would be greatly appreciated....

Hey guys,

For all you guys who want more power out of a pipe but don't want the LOUDNESS associated with Yoshimura why not try what I am planning on doing: Get the FMF Hi-Flow header for $134 from the TT store and make it fit to the stock silencer on your S or SM.

That is my question, has anyone adapted the FMF header to the stock silencer??

This should give a decent increase in power as it is the stock header that limits the power more than the silencer....

I think you'll need to mate it to a E muffler.

Neil had something similar on his S, FMF Powerbomb + E muffler if I remember correctly.

Maybe he'll chime in.

Most or probably all high flow headers will most likely be around the size of an E header pipe. Someone once posted to wrap high heat foil tape (from hardware store or pellet stove dealer) to use as a gasket. Also to wrap non sticky side down for one wrap so it can be removed easier then clamp it tight. Do a search much info on this subject. You could also find an E header pipe on E-bay alot cheaper than aftermarket if ya want to save $$.

Hey guys,

For all you guys who want more power out of a pipe but don't want the LOUDNESS associated with Yoshimura why not try what I am planning on doing: Get the FMF Hi-Flow header for $134 from the TT store and make it fit to the stock silencer on your S or SM.

That is my question, has anyone adapted the FMF header to the stock silencer??

This should give a decent increase in power as it is the stock header that limits the power more than the silencer....

The FMF Hi-Flow header is not a guarantee of more power, as far as I know, nobody has tried it on the is forum.

And if they have, they have been keeping it very quiet.

The PowerBomb header does work, you need to make a gasket to join it to the stock S system.

I had one turned from aluminium, or change to an E system, and you can then use the stock E gasket.

Or you can just bodge it up with sticky tape :cry:

Your choice, I did mine properly, and it never leaked.

Neil. :applause: :applause: :lol:

What is the difference between the powerbomb header and the Hi flow? I "assumed" the only thing would be the insert deal to make the powerbomb quieter??

Toddrh has installed the fmf hi flow header mated to a Yosh RS 3 slip on. Check out his garage to see the process. I guess I will do something similar to mate it to the SM silencer......

Since the hi flow is less restrictive than the stock SM header more power will be had for sure...

What is the difference between the powerbomb header and the Hi flow? I "assumed" the only thing would be the insert deal to make the powerbomb quieter??
The "bomb" section is a mini expansion chamber that is said to increase the exhaust velocity, thereby creating more power......I think.:applause:

And I thought the "bomb" secton was just the silencing part?? Does anyone know for sure???

It is a resonance chamber, it causes the exhaust gasses to flow faster,

and quietens them down a bit.

Does it work, well mine sounded "different".

By the way, all this info is on the FMF site, and on TT, try a search, it has all been covered

before, a number of times, including earlier this week.

My opinion is the powerbomb is a "gimmick" sure it sounds different and is quieter but doubtful it makes more power than the hi flow

The part of the S muffler that the clamp goes around is smaller than the High Flo or the Powerbomb and the difficult part is the weld that holds this clamp into the muffler pipe..

Using the S-Muffler:

You will need to grind down this weld which is inside the muffler tubing.

It is not an impossible job, but it is not just a smooth down job you will do in 10 minutes. You need a grinder (Dremel) that will let you get an inch and a half or so inside the pipe and then you have to grind away perhaps an eight to a quarter inch of welding all the way around the inside before the larger size header pipe will slip in. Then as has been stated, you will need a custom gasket because neither the S nor the E gaskets will work with this combo.

Report back what you end up doing. We'd like to hear about it.

My opinion is the powerbomb is a "gimmick" sure it sounds different and is quieter but doubtful it makes more power than the hi flow

Your opinion fly's in the face of FMF advertising.

In the land of litigation (the USA) FMF would not claim something that could not be proven.

I have used a Stock E header, and an FMF PowerBomb.

On the basis that the tube diameter is the same, it has to be the "Bomb" part that makes the power, because there is a difference.

You do as you wish, I know what worked for me.

Neil, in my opinion it is not as you say bodging it up. All your doing is really making a custom gasket. This so called sticky tape is a soft pliable metal tape that makes great gaskets for something like this. You wrap the first wrap sticky side up (so it doesn't stick to the pipe) then wrap the rest the other way till you get the diameter to fit into the Powerbomb or E header then clamp it down. Whats wrong with this. Nothing! A simple gasket. You can't even see it it's wrapped around the S pipe which fits in the header pipe. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like a simple fix to a simple problem.

Neil, in my opinion it is not as you say bodging it up. All your doing is really making a custom gasket. This so called sticky tape is a soft pliable metal tape that makes great gaskets for something like this. You wrap the first wrap sticky side up (so it doesn't stick to the pipe) then wrap the rest the other way till you get the diameter to fit into the Powerbomb or E header then clamp it down. Whats wrong with this. Nothing! A simple gasket. You can't even see it it's wrapped around the S pipe which fits in the header pipe. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like a simple fix to a simple problem.

No, I was not joking, using sticky tape is a bodge.

No tape in the world will take that heat and not break down in the end.

Do Suzuki use sticky tape ???

If it is not permanent it is a bodge.

Funny Neil I use it on my woostove and it work perfectly! Doesn't melt, smoke or discolor.I'm not sure but I don't think Suzuki was trying to mate an S exhaust to a bigger headpipe. And yes I have tried it. It works fine.

It's not the kind of tape most might be thinking. It's a high heat metal tape made just for something like this. I'm not trying to start a war of words but it works. Well I should say it worked for me.

Your opinion fly's in the face of FMF advertising.

In the land of litigation (the USA) FMF would not claim something that could not be proven.

Not trying to be rude, but in this "land of litigation" there are many products that DO NOT do what they claim....that is "advertising" look at the health food market, products that claim to mimick anabolic steroids but do absolutely nothing at best and could hurt you at worse. Look at the high performance market, examples are exaust systems for sport bikes that make the bike louder but actually have worse performance than stock. Motocross performance companies that advertised engine parts , porting (2 strokes) etc. that were exactly like their sponsored guys were using! B S ! Pipes that flat out screwed up powerbands and the list goes on and on....