Sign in to follow this  

00 xr100 runs like crap

Hey guys Just picked up a 2000 xr 100 to thrash around on but its having some problems.

First it smokes more than a 2-stroke running 5:1

Second, it feels like its got a sock in the airbox. Upon inspecting the carb I notice the air slide before the throttle slide vibrates back and forth. So I held slide so it didnt rattle back and forth and it revs smooth without hesitation, although the smoke is still there. I dont know why the slide is doing this. It seems like its just loose.

has anybody else ran into something like this?

I know it will need new rings at least.

any help appreciated.

thanks

2strokenut, that "airslide thingy" is the choke plate. Yours sounds like it's broken and not staying open. Best to take the Carb off and get it fixed before it breaks off and gets sucked into the motor :applause: If you don't see how to fix it, take the carb to the dealer and they will get the right parts for you. Your on your way to being a 4strokenut !

Jeff

Yeah, if you you can't tighten it or know how to fix it you might want get it fixed. But I know a guy with a TTR who had similar issues and he went to a dealer and they charged him $300 to fix it. :applause:

Heck, you can get a new carb for half the price. If you have mechanical skills, I suggest get a manual and try fix most of the stuff yourself. The 100 is about as easy as a bike can get. Maybe there's a local guy out there to help.