Sign in to follow this  

Black conversion on 1992 XR250L - Almost Complete

Hey guys, remember me? I picked up an XR250L for nothing and was sloshing around trying to find info on converting it to all black? Well, it's almost complete.

Thus far I've done the following:

Black aluminum bars, w/ Acerbis black aluminum hand guards

Black Acerbis headlamp with small windshield

Black CRF250 front fender

Removed blue shock boots

Clarke large black tank

New black and grey seat cover with matching tank decals

XR250R side panels in black, these fit just fine with a little heat. The side with the battery is a little short just like they look on the new XR650's, you can't even tell

I plan on stripping it all back down next weekend to paint the frame bright silver, along with the swing arm and the forks black. Clean everything else and do the wheels in black. This leads me to my last question...

Can anyone post pictures of a 90's XR250 with a rear mx fender and the specs on it?

As of right now I fit a post 96" Maeir MX rear fender for a XR250R and I had to remove the rear brace to make it fit along with elongating the holes in the fender. It works fine and looks dope but with my new exhaust I need that brace because I don't feel like making another bracket for my muffler. Also, I need the support back there for my saddle bags.

I'll post some pics when it's complete. In the mean time, show me some photos of older XR's with MX rear fenders! :applause:

Here is mine with a Maer fender from a post '96 model.

I had to fab an exhaust bracket to mount a post '96 exhaust can anyway.

XR 250.jpg

XR 250 Side.jpg

XR 250 Sideview.jpg

Sweet, thanks bro. Nice looking bike. Is your's an R or an L with the battery removed?

What did you end up doing on the bracket? With the Maeir fender I got I couldn't even use the bracket underneath. I'll take photos of it on Monday when I get back in town so you can see. My fender is totally different than yours so it's got me wondering....

Sweet, thanks bro. Nice looking bike. Is your's an R or an L with the battery removed?

What did you end up doing on the bracket? With the Maeir fender I got I couldn't even use the bracket underneath. I'll take photos of it on Monday when I get back in town so you can see. My fender is totally different than yours so it's got me wondering....

It is a R. I will take some pics of the bracket fab I did.:applause:

I don't. I bought it years ago. If I remember correctly it was actually for a 1990 ish CR 250.

Pics will be up later today!

Sorry about the mud. I wont be cleaning her for a few days and I wanted to get these up here for you.

It is the stock brace but cut.

I also fabbed a new muffler bracket.

Hope this helps. I will put up some better pics as soon as I can.

Fender Brace.jpg

XRmuffler2.jpg

Hey guys, remember me? I picked up an XR250L for nothing and was sloshing around trying to find info on converting it to all black? Well, it's almost complete.

I'm anxious to see pictures. I blacked out my 250L with a rattlecan and have been very happy with the results. Nowhere near as durable as replacing all the plastics, but not too bad considering what my budget was.

It's good info to have on the R side panels, thanks for sharing that.

Hey all, I've started the re-assembly process as you can see below. Boy, this takes a lot long when you do it right!

Before I started -

start.JPG

Where it sits now -

Before I started -

xr1.JPG

xr2.JPG

xr3.JPG

xr4.JPG

xr5.JPG

I've done quite a few things while she was broke down. Upgrade the sprockets to a 13/45, custom header w/ exhaust, powedercoat the frame and just about everything else, 3" PVC mod to the front shocks w/ ATF, re-charged rear spring and adjusted it out, new front and rear tires, polished up the fork and swing-arm, glass beaded engine and refinished, airbox mod, etc... Much more to do! I should have it finished and back on the road this weekend.

Thanks for all the help everyone thus far!

So what rear mx fender ('06+ straight look) fits with not much mods?

You're bike looks really awesome dude! Really great work there. You have me thinking now as I have a '96L that needs to be freshened up. I noticed right away, that the 250 feels way easier to ride than my XR400, so easy in fact, that I'm thinking of fixing it up and using it and selling my XR400. Yes, I'm a weak short guy, and that might be part of it, but in the woods, the 250 feels more nimble, even with the heavy stuff still installed.

So, can you tell me what you did to make the motor look so darn wonderful? Where does one "glass bead" a motor?

I'm thinking that refreshing my 250 might be the way to go, and if I want more performance later, I'd have a great little spare bike for my friends to ride.

Can I ask what the exhaust set you back? Also, are you running the stock carb and jets?

Hats off to you, your work is awesome.

Hey all, I've started the re-assembly process as you can see below. Boy, this takes a lot long when you do it right!

Before I started -

start.JPG

Where it sits now -

Before I started -

xr1.JPG

xr2.JPG

xr3.JPG

xr4.JPG

xr5.JPG

I've done quite a few things while she was broke down. Upgrade the sprockets to a 13/45, custom header w/ exhaust, powedercoat the frame and just about everything else, 3" PVC mod to the front shocks w/ ATF, re-charged rear spring and adjusted it out, new front and rear tires, polished up the fork and swing-arm, glass beaded engine and refinished, airbox mod, etc... Much more to do! I should have it finished and back on the road this weekend.

Thanks for all the help everyone thus far!

Gorgeous bike man! What's it cost to powdercoat a frame? What else did you get shot? Did they get it in the threads? :bonk:

Before I started -

start.JPG

I thought that tank looked familiar. Funny how the dent shows up loud and clear in this pic but not in the Ebay pic.

-B

Thanks guys! I just started tinkering with it and ended up going to town.. :bonk: You can buy glass beads or walnut beads at most Harbor Freight's. I have a blasting cabinet and I simply plugged all the holes and put the engine inside the cabinet and went to town. I refinished the engine with Duplicolor Engine Enamel. You have to be really careful when painting an engine especially aluminum. Too much paint and it will actually act as an insulator! The secret is to lay down 2-3 coats less than 1mil thick leaving about 15 mins between each coat. Once your done with that you can lay down a single coat of clear. Much more and you'll be overheating.

The frame cost about $125.00 to have it sandblasted and powder coated at a local shop.

I bought the headers and mid pipe from a place in Canada, they listed it on ebay. About $45.00 for the whole setup! :naughty: The pipe is a Jetson and just so happened to fit size wise and position with the header mid pipe. I paid $70.00 for that on eBay as well. It should sound good. I'm running the stock carb just cleaned it all out. Damn thing was filled with shit! I've got JETS to play around with but I'm not sure where I'm going to end up. The airbox mod is going to require some tweaking with the mixture..

TMX - Not too sure what your talking about on the tank?

I bought that tank from you on Ebay. You said it had no dents. Had I paid more, I would have been pissed.

-B

Ooooooooohh. My bad dude, let me know what I can do to make it right. I never heard anything from you...?

The bike is looking awesome!!!! Please keep us informed and post pics when you are done!!!!

Thanks guys! I just started tinkering with it and ended up going to town.. :D You can buy glass beads or walnut beads at most Harbor Freight's. I have a blasting cabinet and I simply plugged all the holes and put the engine inside the cabinet and went to town. I refinished the engine with Duplicolor Engine Enamel. You have to be really careful when painting an engine especially aluminum. Too much paint and it will actually act as an insulator! The secret is to lay down 2-3 coats less than 1mil thick leaving about 15 mins between each coat. Once your done with that you can lay down a single coat of clear. Much more and you'll be overheating.

The frame cost about $125.00 to have it sandblasted and powder coated at a local shop.

I bought the headers and mid pipe from a place in Canada, they listed it on ebay. About $45.00 for the whole setup! :bonk: The pipe is a Jetson and just so happened to fit size wise and position with the header mid pipe. I paid $70.00 for that on eBay as well. It should sound good. I'm running the stock carb just cleaned it all out. Damn thing was filled with shit! I've got JETS to play around with but I'm not sure where I'm going to end up. The airbox mod is going to require some tweaking with the mixture..

Let us know how the exhaust turns out. Right now, I think I'm going to have to cut my stock exhaust off my bike. :p:naughty: I can't get the muffler separated from the header. :bonk:

I'm really thinking about tearing the bike down, and powder coating the frame. Then of course I'll have to be in for the long haul and I'll end up doing a top end, and giving the bike a diet, and all that jazz so I need to think long and hard about it. Your bike gives me inspiration though, it is turning out real nice. I can't wait to see some more pics.