Sign in to follow this  

2000 kx250 mods

I recently bought a 2000 kx250 for $1500. It had a pro circuit pipe and rad valve reeds in it. I am thinking about doing motocross next year. Is there any other mods i should think about? Has anyone tried powernow? Suspension mods? I don't have a big budget, only 15, most of my money was from detassling. Plus I had to pay the difference between what my kx100 sells for and what my kx250 costs. I love the bike but was curious what i should do. I'm 6'2" and 175 lbs. to help with suspension. I have about $300 that i can spend. Had more but bought a new graphics kit.

First off get the suspension revalved and resprung for your weight and ability, That was always the biggest improvement on all my KX's. Check linkage, wheel bearings and shock bearings also.:applause:

Dave

Thanks, he might have already set up the suspension, I'll ask him. He weighs about the same as me. If it is good, anything else. I ride some trails to, just with my dad and brother. So far I'm very happy with the bike.:applause:

What is the best bang for the buck? Is whats on it going to make more difference than anything else? The suspension is already set up for me. I'm curious how much the power-now system does. I can afford it and it is supposed to make a decent difference. Anyone know if it does?

Yes, it does affect the top-end power. The wing will "fool" the carb into thinking it is smaller than it actually is below 1/2 throttle, but once beyond 1/2 throttle the wing hanging in the middle of the venturi introduces turbulence into the air stream, reducing top-end power and rev. It's not a drastic effect, but it is real and noticeable.

The power-now is not a very effective mod for that bike. It works best on bikes that have a carb with a venturi that is too large for the engine, like the KTM125. It won't be very effective on the KX250.

For MX, I'd get a glide plate....the smaller of the skid plates. To protect your underbelly.

Karl

Thanks, I'll look into that

You can find used ones cheap on eBay. Just make sure that they have the hardware to attach. Moose sells the hardware but I think it could run $20 or so. You'd have to check with them.

Karl